twelve!

TWELVE

AUGUST 4th, 1989

Days passed, and then those days turned into weeks, which turned into a month, and suddenly, August had rolled around, bringing with it the last strings of the summer of '89.

Levi had spent her days visiting Hannah in the hospital and, when the girl had been discharged and sent home, visiting her there and helping her sneak out. Richie tagged along sometimes and together, the three of them would walk down to the arcade and challenge each other until they were all out of quarters.

Sometimes, when they walked aimlessly around town or were on their way to the arcade, they would pass by Mike, who would offer them a soft, shy smile and a wave and they would all chit-chat for a while until the Hanlon boy asked for the time and rushed off.

As for the rest of the Losers, it was radio silence. Bev and Levi only brushed past each other with friendly smiles when the redhead visited Hannah; Eddie was under house arrest for an indefinite amount of time; Ben had gone back to spending his time at the library and hung out with Mike; Bill had retreated back into himself; and Stan...well, Stan had focused all of his energy on practicing and studying for his Bar-Mitzvah, if Levi was to go off of the single phone call she had received from him inviting her to it the previous night.

"What do you think of this one?" Levi turned around to face Hannah, holding a pink pinafore dress and a white, frilly blouse up for her friend to judge, lifting her brows in question.

"It's nice, I like it...At what time is it again?" Hannah mused, shifting around in Levi's bed and leaning her head on her right hand. She raised her brows as Levi stood in front of her mirror and gave herself a once-over before nodding determinedly.

"At four, I think," Levi answered, tugging off her socks, shorts, and tank-top and slipping on the outfit she had picked out, twirling a single time before turning back to face Hannah and beaming at her.

Hannah regarded her with an amused smile for a couple of seconds before sitting up properly and patting the space in front of her, grabbing Levi's hairbrush from her nightstand, "C'mere."

Levi complied, taking the free spot on her bed and letting her best friend mess around with her hair.

"What exactly are you doing, Han?" She chuckled, trying to reach back to touch her hair and exclaiming when Hannah slapped her hand away.

"Braiding it." Hannah's voice came in a murmur, indicating her level of concentration on the hairstyle. "Braids always look good on you."

Levi let out a noise that sounded something like a mix between a scoff and a gentle laugh, shaking her head softly and fiddling with her thumbs, letting Hannah finish her work in silence. The brunette girl patted her shoulder as soon as she was done and Levi jumped up, glancing at the clock on her bedside table, eyes widening as she took notice of the time.

"Will you be okay on your own for a while?" Levi looked up at Hannah as she tied up her saddle shoes.

The brunette nodded and rolled her eyes as she noticed her best friend's doubtful expression. Hannah stood from the bed and held a finger up as Levi opened her mouth to talk.

"Nope, no second thoughts. You're going to that Bar-Mitzvah and you're not going to spend your time worrying about me. I'll be fine," Hannah reassured, practically pushing Levi out of her room, down the stairs, and out of the door. "Now, go enjoy yourself. Tell Stan I said 'Hi' and congratulate him for me."