Chapter 3

(friday: first day of competition)

"Ah Mikey you made it!" John calls and waves Jessie and I over. We wound up coming early on friday morning to help with signing people in and getting them settled.

"What do you need us to do?" I ask.

"Let's see, we have people getting the contestants signed in and set up in hotel rooms if they already aren't, so can you two make sure our recording studios are all set up? For now, we won't need you two till later like 3:00" we nod and head to the 2nd floor where the recording studios are held.

We finish getting all the booths set up and the instruments tooned by around 1:00 so we had an hour and a half to kill.

"Mikey wanna record jet black heart?" Jessie asks. I think it over and grin.

"Ya lets do it!" I grab one of the guitars and get into the booth.

"Go ahead" He gives me a thumbs up. I play the song through.

"Man that was sick! Dude do like an insane guitar solo?!" he laughs. I fool around playing anything that comes to my head. We laugh and joke around for awhile until we see that we have 15 minutes to be down stars.

"Shit mikey were late!" jessie yells.

"Fuck!" I put down the guitar and we run out of the room, racing to the stairs and running down them.

We make it into the big meeting room where were having the contestants play for us. The band isn't here today, they will be here tomorrow to formally pick someone.

"You two are late" John laughs when we sit down. We give him a thumbs up and the first guy walks in.

~~~~~~~

After 5 hours were all exhausted, we heard around 200 people play and only passed around 50. At least the 50 picked were halfway decent, some i think have a shot. We will just have to see tomorrow.

"Thank you to everyone who tried out today, unfortunately only one can be in the band so you understand if you are going home today" John dismisses all the people for the night.

"Thank you boys for helping, Mikey thanks for managing to get the weekend off." I wave my hand at him.

"It's no problem."

"So you met the boys last weekend?" I nod.

"Are they ok" he asks, I frown and look at him.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"It would be great if you two could become friends with them. I heard you sold them your Green Day vinyl"

"You sold them your Green Day vinyl!?" Jessie exclaimed.

"Uh, ya" I scratch the back of my neck.

"They said they wanted to buy it, then said they would keep it here. They gave me 1500 for it." I tell them. The two just gape at me.

"Awe they like you Mikey!" John jokes.

"I think they just felt bad, struggling college student, didn't really want to sell my most prised possession." I say.

"Either way, their good guys. I'm glad you got to meet them." John tells me, patting my shoulder.

"So, anyone that you think really have a shot?"

"Uh there were like 5 that i saw who were good enough and kind of fit the image. I don't know they would really have to spend some time with them to know if they are right for the band." I shrug, jesse nods, agreeing with me.