chapter 26

Dawn POV

Carter and I haven't seen Garret or Cicily since they left three years ago. And something hasn't been right with me.

Something inside of me feels strange.
Like an urge of some sort. It's scaring me to be honest.

The world doesn't have the bright colors it use to. Over night it's like my memories were restored.. maybe it's because I'm facing my past.

Carter isn't the same man he use to be. The light in his blue eyes have faded.. He seems tired and even though I'm here... He looks alone. I know it's because of Garret and Cicily. He blames himself for there disappearance. But I guess I feel the same way.

I grab my head. It hurts so much. Man I feel wierd... The urge is getting stronger. Something's wrong with me.. I feel like I need to kill someone..

I need to kill someone..

I look over at Carter.

I begin to cry. "Help....... Me....Carter."

............

Carter POV

Dawn is looking at me with a strange look. Something isn't right.

I stand up real fast as she breaks into tears. Somethings not right.

"Dawn,. What's wrong? Sweetheart speak to me."

She looks at me and now I'm getting chills... That look is almost murderous.

I take a couple of steps back. "Dawn, what's wrong??"

She doesn't respond. Her face has no emotion.

Then our toddler wobbles into the room.

I take one look at Dawn and run as fast as I possible can to my son.
.......

Dawn POV

I can't control myself!! My heart's beating fast and I'm trying to hurt someone... All I see blood.. why is there so much blood.

I don't know what's happening.. suddenly I'm jerked away from all the red I'm seeing.

Something is injected into my neck and I slowly fall to sleep.

................

Carter POV

I'm holding my son who's crying in my arms..

Blood is gushing out of my neck and I know it's a matter of time. My little boy looks up at me unable to understand the situation's seriousness.

I smile at him. "It's okay Troy. Daddy will be fine soon."

He smiles. I know I'm dying but I feel like I had so much life left..

I wave the doctors away. They know there is no fixing me. "Help Dawn.. something's not right with her."

They hesitate for a moment but then nod. I turn my attention back to my toddler. "One day Troy, you'll be the Vampire King just like I was. Your mother will take good care of you and so will your family."

I point to all the vampires standing near me. They smile and nod.

"Daddy, you need a bandaid."

I laugh and slowly close my eyes. I can feel myself drifting deep within myself. I wave for one of the soldiers to take Troy from me.

I take hold of Troy's hand. "Remember son .. I love you."

He laughs. "I know Daddy, you tell me all the time."

I open my eyes and see his goofy little smile and he takes hold of the soldiers hand walking away from. He turns back one last time to wave.

"See you later daddy."

I wave with what strength I have left. "Bye munchkin."

The moment he leaves, Dawn rushes into the room in tears.

She hugs me, crying into my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, I've hurt you on a level that can't be taken back. I hurt my mate.. I hurt you Carter.. please forgive me..."

I lift her face up to mine. We look into each other's eyes. "Dawn, I love you. I always have and always will. I'll forgive you a thousand times over. Please just promise me one thing."

She nods. "Anything."

I can feel my breath begin to quicken. "You will never hurt our son and you'll never forget me..."

Dawn's face begins to slowly fade into a blur. Her voice coming at me with a soft echo.

"Yes, Carter I wont do either one. You are in my heart now and always."

I can feel a tear fall down my cheek. "Always and forever, sweetheart,always and forever.."

...........

Dawn's POV

What have done. I just killed my mate. I know the doctors said it was because of the hunter's blood in me but it doesn't make me feel any better about it. What makes it worse was I wasn't even aiming at him but at my own son. My sweet innocent little boy.

Carter was my life.. and the hunters ruined us.. they ruined my family.. my people. They will pay for this.. the time will come when they will die for what they've done...