Chapter Two

Lawrence's POV

Mounting off my horse, Noelle, I hand her over to our caretakers in the stables.

"She's a precious one, Lucas. Feed her well for me." I asked him.

Walking over to a bucket of water near the door, I rinse my hands as the servants and guards stride in and out of the castle, greeting themselves and bowing as I watched them.

"Lady Charlotte," I called out to her as she carried clean bed sheets in her arms.

"Lord Lawrence."

"I was wondering if my sister had woken up yet? She didn't come back from Hampton court until late last night." I asked, folding my sleeves up.

"Oh, yes. Lady Katherine is sitting in her study."

"Reading her new books already?" I questioned.

"No, she's writing a letter. I could take you to her if you would like?"

"No, no...I see that you are quite busy. I'll go find her. Thank you."

Excusing myself, I step up into the castle and out of the kitchen as breakfast was being prepared, to find another handful of servants decorating the corridors with yellow and red colors.

"What is all of this?" Richard asked me coming from around the corner.

"I don't know?"

Standing up against the wall, servants hung up red carnations as well as placing red and yellow flowers in vases on every table. The regular navy blue curtains that were originally hung on the windows when we first arrived was replaced by a darker shade of red and tied with a yellow silk twisted rope in the center, allowing light to seep through the windows.

"These are Spain's colors, aren't they?" I asked Richard.

Turning our heads slowly, to at stared at each other, the grand doors to the throne room opened.

"We will need more carnations for when the Holy Emperor arrives. Replace the curtains in the south keep near his guest chambers and the bed sheets as well." Our father ordered.

"And has my daughter received her gift from the Emperor?"

"Yes, your Grace. It's on its way as we speak. Would you like for me to send word to Lady Katherine to prepare herself for Princess Mary and the Emperor's courting?" Fabian, our fathers assistant responded.

"Oh, good. And yes, we will be leaving soon. Boys, make yourselves useful and watch over your sister. Make sure that she gets dressed and ready to travel." He ordered us.

"Father, you never mentioned that Charles was coming?" I asked him, grabbing his arm.

"I didn't? Oh, well...he is. He's stopping by Hampton court to see his aunt, Queen Catherine, and for other business. But he will be stopping by here to visit your sister, that's for sure. So, please...Go, now."

Watching him continue to walk down the corridor as the servants decorated, Richard vanished out of nowhere, leaving me alone.

"Hmm...great."

~

Heading up the main stairs, I took a turn a few doors down from Katherine's chambers to find the room to her study slightly open.

Pushing the door, I peeked my head through first looking for Kat when I see her sitting at the desk near the large balcony overlooking the lake near the castle.

Stepping inside, I quietly walked over to the ottoman where a red box with yellow ribbon sat as well as a note clipped to the side.

"Did father send you to look after me?" Kat said, not turning her head to look at me.