Chapter Eleven

Standing in the middle of my new chambers at Hampton Court, guards and servants brought in the rest of my luggage as Charlotte, Rose, and another Lady helped rearrange everything.

The room felt quiet and anxious, the ladies wouldn't look at each other nor speak, but simply handed something over for them to put away. Perhaps they were nervous, living with someone you've never known, or maybe it was me. Since I was a child I was never fond of living a large house filled with hundreds of servants, for fear that they would betray my family.

"Were these Queen Anne's chambers?" I asked, breaking the silence.

Holding one of my skirts close to her chest, the new servant turns around hesitantly.

"No, Your Grace...the King had every piece of furniture removed and thrown. A new beginning, he said."

Raising an eyebrow, I looked over to the vanity beside the large double door window. The sun perfectly hitting my face, sent a warm feeling into me. It felt almost kindly and soothing, like arms wrapping themselves around me.

"Your Grace...the feast will start in a few hours. We should prepare you for your meeting with the King first."

"First? Why so?" Charlotte asked sternly.

"He believes that you will be nervous for when he presents you to the court-"

"Lady Ursula...I assure you, I have been presented before. I do not need to speak to the King, nor do I wish to see him at this moment." I hissed.

"I believe Lady Katherine requires some rest before the feast, we wouldn't want her to bore herself beside the King," Rose said, grabbing the rest of my garments as Charlotte escorts Lady Ursula out of the room.

"Christ...some of these ladies are just blunt." She hissed.

"What do you think the King wants from me?" I asked her, sitting on the ottoman.

"Perhaps he wants to see how you're doing?"

"Perhaps...he just wants to tighten his grip on me," I whispered.

"Well, then you let him know who's in charge of his possible future...you," Charlotte mumbled, caressing my shoulder.

"Go, get some air. Wander around for a bit, but come back before Lady Ursula finds you, alright?"

Opening the door from my chambers, I followed the sound of the guest as they wandered around carelessly. Joking around quietly, I watched as others flirted with the noble ladies.

Turning the corner, I kept walking until I ended up in front of the throne room. The large gold painted doors hovered over me with two lion carvings looking out behind me.

"Can I help you with anything, Lady Katherine." A servant asked, startling me.

"Um...where is the study?" I mumbled.

"The King's study is on the other side of the castle, your grace. You are heading to the public room where you wish to speak to the King on urgent matters." They told me.

"I understand..."

Bowing, they leave me alone with the solid wooden doors and the rustling sounds of the guard's uniforms that came up behind me, surrounding me on both sides.

"What is this?" I asked them.

"The King has ordered you to be in your chambers and prepare for your meeting."

"I already told Lady Ursula, I do not wish to-"

"It is not a choice, Your Grace. It is an order."