Chapter Thirty-Eight

Combing back pieces of Edward's hair, he sat between my legs while he played with several of his toy trains on the floor. Charlotte and Rose had been busy the entire afternoon training Esther, giving me time to spend with Edward since for the last several days I have been occupied with royal duties now that Henry and most of the men in court have gone to war.

Letters had been delivered through Henry's orders from France, ordering the Privy Council as well as Charles with outside resources for the soldiers as their journeys were becoming more difficult due to sickness. My brothers' were stationed in France near the royal court, and my father was in Oxford finishing his work at Westminster. But with everything still running at court, I couldn't help but sense this heavy feeling in my chest. 

"That's it...I can't stand her!" Charlotte yelled, bursting into my chambers.

"Charlotte, calm down."

"What is going on?" I asked, raising Edward to his feet.

"Esther. I can't stand her. First, she refuses to hold dirty cloths from the kitchen that we are supposed to wash. And then she refuses to enter the stables because it smells of Horse shit. If I have to go back there and see her face again-"

"Charlotte, please," Rose begged, rubbing her arms down.

"I'm guessing the training was harder than you expected."

"I want to know where Henry found her because that wench is not meant for this life."

"She's a prostitute...Lawrence followed her." Rose blurted out, causing Charlotte to gasp.

"He what?" 

"Where is she?"

"We told her to stay in the study...I told her that you like to have your tea in the library and to have the servants bring it to you." Rose added.

"...and let me guess, we won't find her doing her chores."

Kissing Edward on his head, I asked Charlotte to take him back to his chambers with his tutor while Rose and I stepped out of my chambers and to the library.

"It feels so empty these past few days, don't you think?"

"Not really, I'm sure everyone feels more relaxed without Henry wandering the halls." I chuckled.

"How are you feeling? I know that being regent can't be exactly easy."

"It's...better. I don't favor being King but I can get things finished that Henry would just toss aside, and people actually listen to me rather than just stare."

"They respect you, Katherine. It's a great quality to have." Rose smirked.

Standing at the doors leading to the library, I could hear voices whispering on the other side. Small murmurs and echoes of shoes stomping around the wooden floor, I took a step back before entering.

"What is it?"

"...This will be my first time meeting her..." I mumbled.

"Well...a scary first impression is the best impression."

"We'll see..."

Knocking on the door, one of the servants inside peak their heads through and immediately pulls the doors open. 

"Your Majesty."

Waltzing into the room, Elizabeth and Mary sat near the window with a book in hand as Esther and another young lady are sitting on the lounge chairs before one of them rises and bows.

"Your Majesty...I-"

Rising my hand, she stopped speaking and stepped to the side, leaving me and Esther staring at each other. Still sitting, she casually sets her book on the side table as she stands up and bows her head softly.