Chapter Thirty-One

3 DAYS LATER...Madrid, Spain

Standing at the wooden railing of the ship, I gazed out into the distance watching as the sun and the ocean kissed the edge of the horizon. With a beautiful blue sky, large, puffy clouds scattered themselves evenly above me. Letting the sun beam down, reflecting against the water, it shined down star-like rays into the water.

"I was wondering where you were," Charlotte said, coming up from under the deck with a pale look on her face.

"I needed some fresh air...it looks like you could use some too.

"I was never a fan of sailing...how are you feeling?" She asked.

"At ease, for now. I overheard the captain saying he could see soil just over the edge."

Returning my eyes back to the horizon, the sounds of seagulls roamed around the ship before they dove into the ocean for food.

"Are you ready to see him?" She whispered, taking her spot beside me.

"...I don't know. It's been so long since I've seen or heard of him."

"I do. I heard from my cousin that Charles was celebrating his child..."

"How long ago was that?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Christmas, it's spring now."

"...then we will see when we get there." I sighed.

Noticing a dark line near the end of the horizon, it rose larger as the ships speed increased, pushing through the waves.

"Up ahead! Prepare to dock!" One of the sailors yelled.

"How do you think it is now? The people." Charlotte asked.

"...It's been four years."

"Rumors have it that Charles' bride has already miscarried twice, sons."

Turning my head swiftly, Charlotte's eyes softened at the thought of the pain Charles' wife had to go through, passing her emotion onto me as I looked down at my belly.

"I'll make sure everything is set for our departure...stay calm." She whispered to me, rubbing my shoulder.

"Your Majesty."

"Yes?" I said, answering another sailor.

"King Henry would like to speak to you. Upper deck."

"Thank you." I sighed, turning to find Henry standing at the back of the ship.

Passing through the other sailors as they walked and bowed past me, I headed up the steps and between the captain's deck before coming up behind Henry.

"The view is the other way." I joked, wrapping my arms around him as I placed my head on his shoulder.

"Good Morning."

Kissing my cheek, he slipped me between his arms and the wooden railing as the two of us watched the back of the boat, and the trails the ship left behind.

"Are you nervous?" I asked, looking over a bit.

"No...How are you?"

"I'm calm...nervous, really. It's been a long time since I've been back, who knows how Spain has changed." I whispered.

"Well then, it's a good thing that this trip won't take too long...then we will be back home, hopefully with our sons." He said, rubbing his hand on my belly.

"I heard something about the Queen..." I mumbled.

"What?"

"...she lost a child, Henry."