Chapter Sixteen

2 Months Later...

"I could find the whole meaning of life in your eyes..."

"And I'll stay there as long as you'll let me..."

"Because you...matter to me..."

Rocking back and forth around the room,  I carried Edward in my arms as he slowly drifted off to sleep. His tiny toes peeking from his blanket, dangling in the summer breeze.

"My sweet boy..." I whispered, caressing his soft bare cheeks.

"I see that you are up and walking, Your Grace." Lady Bryan said.

"I wake every morning just to see his face...God knows the sacrifices I have made to bring him into this world."

Setting a new set of bedsheets for my chambers, I bend over carefully, putting Edward to sleep in his crib near the window.

"If I may, Your Grace...Prince Edward's christening was beautiful. The spring is just a stunning time in the year to celebrate the birth of a future King." Lady Bryan added.

"...yes...yes, it is," I said, still standing beside the crib.

Hearing Charlotte and Rose' voice in the hallway outside, they quiet down as they enter the room before their eyes widen at the sight of me.

"Kat-"

"Shh." I hiss, pointing at Edward sleeping.

"Your Grace..."

Seeing as they both carried new fresh flowers in their baskets, I left the two of them to decorate and throw out the old flowers around the room while I read to myself.

"How have you been?" Charlotte asked as she arranged the vase on the table beside me.

"I feel...relieved, I guess. For an entire year, I was ignoring the thought that our child would be a girl, for fear that Henry might get rid of me...but Edward is here now." I whispered.

"So are you...I thought we lost you."

"Charlotte...I promise you, I wouldn't let Henry get rid of me that easily." I chuckled.

"You know, the nobles have said how remarkable you are...having a son after the King's attempts. They say that your marriage to him was a blessing from God. That he must really cherish you.

"Cherish? This won't last long, Charlotte. Henry will need another heir, another son...-"

"Yes, but not now. Right now, you have to prepare for the public announcement of your new heir. Come...we must get you ready."

Standing at the window, Charlotte tightens the back of my dress enough to mold the corset to my fitting before I slipped my arms through the sleeves. I could feel the sewn embellishments run across my hands as I brushed the tulle fabric around my waist.

"Let me..." I said, placing the diamond encrusted crown on my head as Charlotte and Rose pinned my hair up from my shoulders.

Hearing a soft knock at the door, the three of us turned around and saw Lawrence walk into my chambers dressed in his chain of office and simarre, which he only wore for special occasions.

"Is my son really that special that you wore pull out your simarre from your closet?" I chuckled.

"Actually...I have a meeting with the French Ambassador and the King."

"Well...I hope that he's impressed over your fashion sense."

Walking over to him and shift over and grab Edward, who was wide awake playing with the blanket I had wrapped him in. His hazel eyes wide open, hopeful and naive to the world, when I noticed the small dimples on the side of his cheeks.