Chapter Thirty-Six

Standing above James' crib, I had stood here since sunrise, waiting for him to call out for me and see his little fingers stretch up to the sky. With his small chest rising, filling every inch of his lungs, I could hear the creaking sound of the door behind me.

"I've been looking for you." He sighed.

"I couldn't sleep."

"It's almost time..." Charles whispered, carefully stepping further into the room.

"In a minute..."

Watching him alongside Charles brought a comforting feeling in the room, like a warm cloak wrapped around my arms. 

"He seems peaceful, I wonder how that feels." He chuckled, making me laugh with him.

"...I wish I could postpone the christening."

"I can ask Henry-"

"If he can't believe his own wife, what makes you think he'll side with my decisions," I mumbled, reaching for the white knitted blanket I wanted to wrap James in.

"You are still Queen of England, that still means something to him."

"I doubt it. Hold this, will you?"

Handing him the blanket, I carefully reached under James' body, lifting him up and into his arms, quickly trying to keep him warm.

"Your country needs you, Katherine. You can't keep isolating yourself."

"Henry let go, remember. My role as Queen is finished, I'm merely the birth giver."

"Stop." Charles hissed, taking a step back with James.

"You're going to scare him-"

"He's fine...you're not. It's been a few days since you've arrived, and I haven't seen you read, or walk out to the gardens like you used to."

Sighing heavily, my shoulders dropped as my eyes started to tear up.

"If you want to keep going at this, then be my guest. I will make up excuses for you not to be bothered, but at the end of the day, you still have needs...you can't just stop doing what you love because you don't want to cross paths."

Closing the distance between us, Charles' arms pressed against my chest, showing me how soundly James was sleeping.

"The best thing you can do...for yourself and your sons is to be happy. With or without him."

Holding onto the very edge of the blanket, my fingers unconsciously caressed James' cheeks before my eyes wandered to Charles'.

"Have you heard about Edward?" I asked shyly.

"Last time I heard, Henry had sent him to Scotland..."

"He came back this morning, asked if you were going to attend the feast later this afternoon." He whispered, handing back James.

"...I...don't know. I just want to get through this first."

"Of course." He mumbled.

Striding for the door, he opens it for me before I was face to face with a few guards, who were ordered to escort me to the grand room, reuniting with my father and brothers along the way.

Cradling James in my arms, I managed to distract myself as we continued to head to the grand room when suddenly a loud crowd had gathered at the entrance. With us approaching the crowd, the immediately separated at the sight of the six guards in front of me, leading me down an aisle headed towards Henry.

Standing beside the Arch-bishop, as well as the Privy Council, Henry stared back at me with a questionable and intimidating look on his face. Shortening the length between us, my brothers and father had joined the rest of the council, as Charles and my ladies had made their way to the front pue.