Chapter Five

Sitting in front of the vanity, Charlotte held a gold leaf and white pearled headpiece as she pinned it down in silence. I stared at the edge of the mirror for what seemed like hours until Rose, another Lady-in-Waiting, came in with new sheets for my bed.

"How did you sleep, Your Grace?" Rose asked, looking at me in the mirror.

Glancing around my new chambers in Charles' home, it was a large space for only one person. The large bed was big enough to fit four people, the curtains were a white color allowing minimum sunlight into the room. The furniture wasn't as dark as the rest of the estate, but they were light enough to compliment them.

I no longer had a fireplace, but a large collection of books instead. Some were religious, others were international books that I had never read before. Fresh roses were placed in the middle of the seating area in my chambers, along with a tray of hot tea.

"In silence..." I whispered.

Feeling Charlotte's hands on my shoulder, she smiled at me lightly before I stood up from my seat. The black dress, which was given to me as a gift from Anne rested against my legs. The satin skirt was embroidered with black embellishments, as the top-half was decorated with lilac flowers ending just at the edge of my shoulders.

"We should go, Charles is waiting," I added.

Heading out of my chambers, I walked down the corridors to the main foyer where the stairs were. Charles had just walked into the room while I went down the steps, running into Sir Arthur who stayed behind to care for me.

"Lady Katherine." He sighed.

"Sir Arthur."

"Are you ready to go?" Charles asked with a shy smile on his face.

"Yes."

Following Sir Arthur out the door, I climb inside the carriage waiting nearby, sitting beside a window. Charlotte and Sir Arthur came in after, as Charles was speaking to one of the servants holding the door for him.

"...Alright, thank you." He mumbled.

"Do you think the King will do something for his sister? Other than arranging the funeral?" Charlotte asked.

"Margaret was his last sister, I doubt he'd want to celebrate her death."

~

After a quiet ride to Hampton Court, the carriage stations itself just underneath the walkway entrance. A small crowd of poor beggars had gathered nearby, pleading and waving at us as we exited out the coach.

Charles had wrapped his arm around my shoulders guarding me against seeing them until I had finally entered the castle. 

"Lord Brandon... a pleasure to see you here." A younger man asked.

"Lord Smeaton." Charles chuckled, hugging what seemed to be his friend.

"And who is this beautiful woman beside you."

Turning around with their arm around each other, Charles smiles at me as I glance between the two of them.

"This young lady is Katherine Hamilton, Duchess of Oxford...and my fiance."

"John Hamilton's daughter? My God, I've always wondered when you would show up to Hampton court. Seems as if Lord Hamilton's description of you was all true and more..." Lord Smeaton smiled.

"Thank you, Lord Smeaton," I whispered bowing my head lightly.

"Come, we must get going."

Walking beside Sir Arthur and Charlotte, Charles headed into the ceremony first as he walked down the aisle to the second row.