Chapter Twenty

A FEW WEEKS LATER...

Holding Edward in my arms as I wandered around my chambers, we looked out from the open window as a group of men were building large wooden towers for the spring festival Henry had planned a few weeks prior. With the royal flags blowing in the wind, the clouds high above were out of sight letting the hot sun burning down on us.

"Your Majesty." Lady Ursula said.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to take a look at your new spring dresses?"

Smiling at her, I headed over to my bed where a handful of dresses were scattered around, ranging from oranges, yellows, and beautiful green colors. 

"This one looks awe dropping in the sun, Your Majesty." Another lady said.

"I love the lace on this one, it's delicate," I whispered.

Feeling Edward's head fall into the crook of my neck, I rubbed his back softly as his little hands gave me gentle pats on my shoulder.

With the lace flowers scattered all over the dress, Charlotte then again picked up another yellow gown with cuffed sleeves that wrapped themselves around my arm. Yellow flowers imitated the cheery blossom design along the bottom part of the skirt.

"I prefer this one over the first one, I enjoy the look of the cuffed sleeves," I whispered.

"I will have the seamstress work on this while she's in town." Lady Ursula said, taking the rest of the dresses away from my chambers.

Leaving the ladies behind, Charlotte and I stride along the quiet corridors of the palace and up to Edward's nursery where Lady Bryan was waiting for him.

"Your Majesty."

"Lady Bryan. I bring him back to you." I chuckled.

Sitting Edward, who was in a deep sleep, into his own bed, I tucked him in loose for him to move underneath the sheets.

"The King has ordered for the young Prince to be taken care of extensively, God forbid he gets sick, he has given him his own concoction."

"Concoction?" I questioned.

"Yes, this vile."

Taking it from her palm, I held the vile up to the light and tilted it back and forth noticing the red fluid inside.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I don't know...I have yet to give it to the physician."

Pulling the cork out, I held the vile under my nose and took a deep breath, feeling a fruity smell in my lungs.

"Why is that sweet?" I mumbled, handing it over to Charlotte.

"Almost...cranberry?"

"Is that bad for the Prince?"

"No...but if my son were ever sick or in need of care, please...bring him to me," I asked Lady Bryan.

"Of course."

Kissing Edward's head one last time, I rose from the edge of the bed and headed for the door when I stopped abruptly.

"Oh, and Lady Bryan..."

"Yes?"

"Keep this between us, the King has enough problems to deal with," I whispered.

"Of course...Your Majesty."

Closing the door behind me, Charlotte and I stood in the middle of the hallway in silence before she spoke out again.

"You know I overheard some servant boys talking..."