Prologue

OC: Rana Klane

Parents: Muggle father, Pure-blood mother, both deceased; lives with her magical blooded aunt and uncle.

Year 5, 1942

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I had known Tom since first year when he shared his compartment on the Hogwarts Express with me. Even then he was a quiet and distant boy, closed off to the world and mostly keeping to himself. However, I was persistent on befriending the kind boy who had shared his carriage with me, especially since we'd been sorted into the same house.

"It would be wise of you to stay away," he had said to me in a heartless voice, but I didn't like to be told what to do.

Slowly and over time we had become acquainted over the past four years. I've come to understand that Tom works hard, gets irritated easily (which he hides very well), has a brilliant mind but people usually like to steer clear of him. I can't say whether he actually has any friends, though I've seen him associate with Abraxus and some other Slytherins. Our relationship is strained but I consider him my friend.

When I see Tom, I see what others can't beyond his handsome face and perfect facade. A boy filled with pain. A boy who doesn't understand yet what the world has to offer.

I see a good heart which I want to be a part of.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Being a Slytherin who didn't live up to our reputation didn't make me very popular among my house. They were tolerable of me, but did not like to associate with me if they could help it. I did get disgusted looks sometimes in class for having friends in other houses, not that I didn't have any in my own. Alice Misforth and Bane Hartley, who finally got together at the beginning of this fifth year, were my close friends in the house. They don't completely understand me, and why I like to spend time with Tom, but are great regardless.