3 - Returns & Requests

We were walking back in silence to our house when Tom cleared his throat.

I turned my head to look at him.

"What happened in Potions?" He questioned in a demanding tone.

I did not answer until we got back to the common room and I sat on a lounge in front of the fireplace, which warmed my body after walking through the cold corridor.

Slowly, with a hint of sadness, I said "my parents".

He slowly sat down next to me. "Your birthday..." he said as if in thought.

"I thought it'd get easier every year, but..." I stared ahead at the fireplace.

"You," he turned his head, forcing me to look at him.

The light from the fire was reflecting off his face, highlighting his black hair and adding colour to his pale face, "are not alone."

I stared, completely stunned.

Without thinking, the next thing I knew I had my arms around him.

He slumped against the couch, taken aback.

I had my face buried between the crook of his neck and shoulder, inhaling the smell of morning pine, stronger than ever.

He was warm but tensed up like a statue, and after a while I felt him pat my shoulder awkwardly.

This was the first time we hugged.

After I let go, he got up and mumbled something about going to bed, his cheeks tinged a light pink, not meeting my eyes.

I watched his retreating form in amusement, forgetting my sorrows for a moment.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The weekend followed uneventfully.

I had not seen Tom since Friday night in the common room.

It was clear he was avoiding me but I let him be, knowing he probably had to 're-evaluate' our friendship after our close contact.

I was used to this.

Whenever Tom thought we'd been getting too close, he'd distance himself from me for a period, but I'd never let this last.

Monday morning came and I woke up to a small array of gifts on my bed, though I was feeling empty all day. It didn't help that Tom hadn't interacted with me today either.

After dinner I went up to the astronomy tower.

I'd been sitting there for a long while when I felt a presence next to me. After ten minutes of him being there, I heard him say "Happy Birthday Rana."

I finally turned to look at him and whispered "I thought you'd forgotten."

"Never." Another long silence followed.

"I never got you anything. Is there anything you'd like?"

"Anything?" I questioned seriously and he slowly nodded, as if evaluating what he'd just said.

I stood up and he followed suit. After a moments thought, I decided on something.

"I want to be able to hug you, without you becoming distant." I asked slowly, carefully.

We stared into each other's eyes for what felt like eternity.

Then, slowly, he came towards me. I felt my heart rate increase.

Tom kept his face as emotionless as ever.

I didn't know whether I should be prepared to take out my wand in case he wanted to hex me, though that had never happened before, but there were times I could feel him restraining to. And one time during third year he even yelled at me that it was my fault he couldn't do anything to keep me away.

"Well, what are friends for then?" I reminded him, and he resorted to sending murderous glances to every who crossed his path that week.

Tom was now getting closer, and I could feel the heat radiating off him.

His hands came around me gently but I was glued to my spot, not daring to move.

He moved me closer to him and I felt my head resting on his shoulder.

Realising he was hugging me, I bought me hands around and held on to him tightly, inhaling his fresh smell. I felt warmth all over my body.

After a few moments passed.

"You should get some sleep now," we let go and headed back to our dormitories.

Just before he could go in his dormitory, "Tom? Um... There is one other thing that I'd like. Since it's my birthday weekend, I was wondering if you'd want to take a walk with me through the woods this Saturday. We can meet at the Black Lake around 2:30?" I said really fast.

He stared as if asking why.

"We don't really do much, apart from school work and being inside the castle... and a change of scenery...not that that's a problem..." I mumbled, hoping I wasn't turning pink.

"Is there something wrong with Misforth and Hartley?"

"No um... Never-mind goodnight," I walked quickly to my dormitory, not giving him a chance to reply. Not that he would have anyways.

I don't know why my heart was pounding so fast and where I got the extra surge of bravery.

What was I thinking? A walk through the woods? What was he going to think? I fell asleep with these thoughts in my head.