1 - Pain & Potion

I had been stirring the pulp orange mixture when suddenly a cold hand enclosed around mine and brought it back down on the table bench. 

"Klane," I heard a soft voice and turned to see dark brown eyes, close to my face, looking intently at me.

"You've been staring for the past five minutes without moving. Care to explain why you want to ruin our potion?"

"I...um..." still not registering I was in our last period double Potions class on Friday whilst I'd drifted off thinking about... I looked down and noticed Tom's hand still on mine. 

Forgetting his question, I looked back up at him with a confused expression, and he, following my eyes, quickly removed his hand.

"I was just -" I said reaching for the shrivelfig roots on the other side of the cauldron to add to our potion whilst looking back up again at Tom's eyes, which seemed to be piercing through my soul, felt my hand collide with the cauldron. 

Hot liquid started slithering down my hand, burning it with insufferable pain. 

I didn't notice how Tom took a hold of my hand trying to get the potion off with his wand, or when he guided me to the infirmary with his hand pressed firmly on my back. 

After I was bandaged up and the pain reduced, we headed to our dormitory.

"Rana," Tom finally said as we entered our common room, having not said a word to me since we left Potions.

"Tom...you didn't have to stay with me at the hospital wing. I know how much marks matter to you and I'm sorry about Potions. It wasn't my intention to -"

"Fine." He turned around to head back out but I followed close behind before he could leave.

"Hey, thank you for staying." 

He stopped but didn't turn around. Instead he turned his head to the side and gave a little nod. 

I smiled, knowing Tom isn't an expressive person, and he walked off.