5 - Losing

I pulled myself away from Tom and left visibly upset.

His words were laced with malice I'd never heard before.

After composing myself outside his dormitory, I went back to the common room to collect his cloak, then entered my dormitory to endure a sleepless night.

Sunday and Monday followed with bad dreams and then it was the last day of September.

Tom and I had no contact since Saturday, and if it were not for lessons, I wouldn't have seen him at all, not that it would have made a difference.

I was avoiding Tom, for fear of what was to come.

He was an extraordinary wizard beyond his age, though everyone in Slytherin knew Tom Riddle was not a wizard to mess with, and I sensed something unpleasant in his proclamation to me.

He had never spoken to me like that before, and I was terrified of how much I didn't know.

Fourth period followed and I knew I was pale and easily startled.

I had been Tom's Potions partner since first year, and that was not about to change.

I arrived to class and spotted Tom in our usual spot, on a bench space up the back. I made my way over, pulled out my things and sat down, not acknowledging Tom.

The lesson started and soon we were brewing individual potions.

Towards the end of the lesson, I heard Tom mutter "you look awful," without any emotion.

I stopped stirring and froze.

"Unless I am mistaken (he chuckled here), you've barely slept or eaten since our last encounter."

"And you have?" I slowly whispered.

He moved so close to me that he had to whisper in my ear, his breath causing me to shudder. "I told you to stay away from me. Look at you. The truth about my ability and a threat instills so much fear. If I'd known you were so we-"

"STOP." I looked at him in anger.

"How could you say that... to your friend? How can you threaten me because I found out a secret. I don't fear your ability Tom. I fear what I don't know. I fear the part of you I don't know about. The other night..." I took a deep breath and drew it out, looking back down at my now finished potion.

"I've been trying to understand all of this. And I have been afraid... but not for the reason you think. I fear... losing you."

Just then the lesson came to an end and I hastily packed everything up, losing Tom among the students, and left before tears threatened to spill.

The reminder of the day I spent with my friends from other houses, needing to be away from my own house, the questioning faces of Alice and Bane... and Tom.