10 - Unsettling

Slam.

I looked up and looked back down at the book.

I pushed the parchment and quill aside, trying to clear my mind.

Lately all the tension and mixed emotions had been taking a toll on me, all which were centred around a particular wizard.

Tom and our friendship had always been complicated, but lately things had started to feel different.

The dynamic of our relationship certainly was not the same.

Perhaps now, as we are changing and growing and starting to better understand ourselves and each other, our friendship is entering a whole new dimension.

Pondering over these thoughts, I leaned my head back against the chair and decided to rest my eyes.

"Should you not be spending your free period doing something productive?"

The voice jolted me upright.

"I-"

Looking behind him then back at the book he was holding -

"What is that?"

"It is none of your concern."

Rising from my chair and walking around the dark oak table, I stopped directly in front of him.

"What could you possibly need from the Restricted Section?"

"Research, and I do not have to inform you that I had permission to be in there."

"But-"

"You have already over-stepped your boundaries Rana."

"And last night you didn't?"

I mentally slapped myself for mentioning it and started to feel a little flustered.

"Did you not say that I am not alone. Do you understand what that means Rana? It means you are with me."

He stepped closer to me, until I felt my back behind the table.

"I told you to stay away from me Rana. All these years of your imposing friendship, did you not think it was going to have repercussions? How many others have I allowed to be in my constant presence? How many others know so much?"

His hands were now on either side of me pressed against the table, trapping me between the desk and him.

I failed to notice he had pushed the book aside.

"You should have eventually known that I am not letting you get away, ever. Even more so now."

He looked intently into my eyes.

"Why did you not stay away Rana?"

"I... promised myself I would always fight for this friendship... that night back in second year. And I will keep it... no matter what," I whispered back.

"Foolish," he shook his head and stepped away from me.

"You only got yourself into this. Remember that."

I watched his retreating figure, my heart beating rapidly.