2 - Careful Confessions

After double Potions had finished Alice and Bane came to find me and I assured them I was alright.

We headed down for dinner and as I spotted Tom sitting on the end of our table, I said goodbye to Alice and Bane (who liked to sit towards the front of the Great Hall) and made my way over Tom, who seemed to tense as I slid in next to him.

Tonight's dinner was rosemary lamb steak with boiled potatoes, gravy and bread.

"Great, everything that needs cutting," I muttered to myself and grabbed some bread.

Although the pain in my hand subdued, moving it was still uncomfortable.

Chewing miserably on my roll as I hadn't had lunch, I felt a soft nudge to my side, and immediately straightening my back, I saw a plate being slid to me, with neatly cut pieces of lamb and potatoes.

I smiled and began eating.

"Could have used magic," he muttered. I rolled my eyes.

Since I was naturally a slow eater, Tom and I were some of the last students to leave the Great Hall.

Whenever we ate together, we had an understanding of leaving together.

Tom had taken to reading a book on Potions as he waited.

He'd learnt by now (rather forcefully), to be patient with me. I'd be upset every time he would abruptly leave me and, finally gaining courage, confronted him within one of the first weeks back of second year.

FLASHBACK

He'd left after having dinner whilst I was half-way through my meal, so I followed him out angrily.

"Riddle!" I yelled once we'd gotten to a secluded part of the passageway.

He stopped for a moment then continued walking, so I ran up to him and grabbed his hand, forcing him to face me.

"Friends don't walk off on each other."

"Good thing we aren't friends."

I felt the colour drain out of me as Tom looked down on me, his brown eyes meeting mine and showing a brief moment of regret before it turned to its normal cold and stoic face.

I turned around and walked away feeling numb, ceasing any interaction with him and ignoring his existence for the next several weeks.

It was in mid - November that I took a bludger to my head in our match against Gryffindor.

I was a chaser up until my fourth year when I decided I wanted to focus on my studies during the final three years.

My eyes flicked open and immediately closed due to the unexpected bright light.

I opened it slowly again and saw a dark figure on my right. I turned my head slowly and met a pair of brown eyes looking down at me.

"What happened?" I croaked just as Alice and Bane came running towards me.

"Rana!" They exclaimed.

"Thank Merlin, we were so worried!" (Alice)

"You took a bludger to the head and have been here a week! Should have seen McLaggen though, ended up with a broken arm the day after you, something about slipping..." (Bane)

During this Tom had left.

The commotion led Alice and Bane being kicked out of the hospital wing, but I was free to go just before dinner.

All I was left with was a headache and some drowsiness, nothing some good food couldn't fix, and I headed down to the Great Hall.

As I entered, I spotted Tom and we locked eyes for a moment before I continued making my way down to Alice and Bane.

During dinner, I couldn't help shake the feeling that Tom's eyes were on me but didn't dare to look once. His words still stung my heart...

As if sensing my discomfort, Bane said "You know... Riddle was there every day beside you at the hospital since you've been out cold. And I have a feeling McLaggen's arm wasn't an accident either, not that that git didn't deserve it."

Suddenly losing my appetite, and getting up from my seat, I informed Alice and Bane that

"I need some air."

With that I left the Great Hall and went up to the astronomy tower, my usual place to think and escape.

I had been staring out at the endless sea reflecting the many stars in the moonlight for a few minutes when I felt a presence beside me.

The morning forest dew scent confirmed my suspicions. After a few moments of silence...

"My parents passed away a few months just before I met you. It was a muggle car crash. I was in the car. (With tears in my eyes), that day when I met you... when you shared your carriage and the boat ride with me, I felt, for a moment, normal again. Since that day I just wanted to befriend the boy who had shown me kindness... who shared the next part of my life with me when I was alone... it made me forget that pain for a little while. I'm sorry for being persistent... I guess I was trying to hold on to that feeling. I don't want you to hate me for it," I whispered.

"I don't hate you." Then with a sign, as if every word he said next pained him;

"I've lived in an orphanage ever since I was born. My mother died after giving birth to me... I prefer to be alone. You need to understand, whether intentionally or not, I will continue to hurt you, and... I apologise for it. It would be best of you to stay away. There is a risk in wanting to be close... wanting to be... my friend."

I turned to meet his gaze, and in a whisper, he continued, staring back at the night sky again.

"The choice is yours, and whatever you decide, I will respect it (seeing the smile on my face)...and try to acknowledge it."

Hearing this from him was enough for me.

If I am not wrong, it was the first time he had ever opened up to someone.

If he was going to continue to hurt me, I was going to continue to show him what others never had.

I promised myself that no matter what, I would always fight for this friendship.

I went in to get a hug but stopped myself just in time seeing the look of discomfort on Tom's face and held out my hand instead.

He slowly slid his soft hand into mine and once he shook it I said "I will take that risk everyday," and smiled.

I swore I saw the corner of his lips lift slightly upwards.

After that we'd spend time catching up on the work I'd missed during my injury since he was on top of everything, and our relationship gradually developed since.

END FLASHBACK