14 - Lost

Monday and Tuesday were busy with classes. Tom spent most of his time surrounded by his fifth year Slytherin boys, leaving only Tuesday's fourth period Potions class open for interaction, and even that only had to do with our work. Meanwhile the professors seemed to increase our homework load, leaving any spare time after classes for nothing much else.

Wednesday first period was my elective, Study of Ancient Runes, whilst Tom had Care of Magical Creatures, and I was unsure whether I would see him today.

I had a free period after Ancient Runes, and found myself in the library again, by the same wooden desk with the window up the back.

I spread out my things and got to work.

Being so engrossed in my Charms work, I failed to realise the time.

I looked up to see outside the window and stretched my neck, sparing my watch a glance.

I jumped up letting out a small squeal, then panicked, trying to shove everything in my pouch before sprinting to double Arithmancy whilst being scolded by Madam Pince along the way.

I had less than ten minutes to get to the other side of the castle to be on time.

Panting, I entered our classroom to see other students settling in.

Looking around, I spotted Tom up the front. Luckily for me, we shared this elective together.

I was just walking up to the front when I noticed Tom's surrounding seats has been occupied by his so called Slytherin friends.

I scanned the room and spotted a seat on the second last row next one of my acquaintances from Hufflepuff.

Walking over, I greeted "You alright Flynn?"

"I'm well!" Flynn's answered in a cheery voice, flashing his pearly white smile. His blonde hair was ruffled and unruly as always.

"Are you alright?" His blue eyes looked uncertain as he examined my state.

"Just fine. Completely lost track of time working on Charms and had to run all the way here from the library!" I complained.

"Ouch. At least you made it. I haven't even started on Charms if it makes you feel any better. Still trying to get my head around the Potions homework."

"You'll be fin-"

"Alright right, settle down, we have much to get through," the professor interrupted, ceasing our conversation.

Today's Arthimancy lesson involved a lengthy lecture and a lot of note-taking. By the end of it I was exhausted.

"Well Rana, it was nice seeing you."

"You too Flynn, good luck with the rest of Potions," I said as he was getting up to leave.

Hoping to walk back to the Common Room with Tom at the end of the lesson, I was disappointed to see he had left by the time I finished packing.

~~~

At dinner Tom was surrounded by his friends again, so I ended up joining Bane and Alice for dinner.

Tom left before we did, so after dinner I decided to continue with my Charms work in the Common Room. I did not spot Tom anywhere in site.

By the time I finished my Charms work, the only sound to be heard in the Common Room was the crackling of the slowly diminishing fire.

Yawning, I started packing away my things in my pouch. After gliding in my textbook, I realised I could not locate my notebook.

I looked around where I was working, and then walked around the rest of the Common Room, checking underneath the couch, feeling my heart rate increase.

I walked back to the table I was studying on with my pouch, opened it up and cast my wand over it, chanting "Accio notebook."

Nothing.

No No No. I kept thinking.

I couldn't lose that.

It was my personal notebook, and I swear I packed it off my bed this morning.

I started walking up, down and around the Common Room.

That notebook at times acted as a diary when my mind would swarm would thoughts and I just had to get things out. At other times I would jot random bits of information I found interesting or deemed important, sometimes it held reminders, but as of lately, it held my research on the Slytherin family.

I suddenly came to a halt.

The library.

Glancing at my watch, it was almost nearing midnight, but I knew I had to risk it.