Ch. 19: Wildflowers

I didn't want to go home and I wasn't exactly eager to face anymore of my past band members just yet, so I decided to go to the only other place I could think of for some peace and quiet: the zoo.

It was eleven o'clock on a Wednesday morning so I figured all of the kids would be in school, most of the adults would be at work, and-at the very least-if anybody did happen to recognize me, the stench of the various animals would cover up my own stink since I still hadn't had a chance to shower. I figured it was my safest option in order for me to be able to stay out of the house but still not end up being bothered by anybody. Plus, it was probably one of the few places anymore that still brought me any sense of joy. And I'm talkin' real joy, not that artificial tingle and warmth that alcohol gave me.

A few of the employees might have recognized me when I went to the booth and paid for my ticket, but if they did recognize me, they never outright said so. As soon as I was allowed through main gates, I immediately gravitated towards the brick building in the center of the zoo where the reptiles were held. I walked the familiar cobblestone path, my body being pulled towards the spot like metal to a magnet.

There was the lion pit to my right, and a handful of rhinos to my left. The giraffes, antelope, and zebras were all allowed in the same grassy enclosure further down, and the elephants were stuck in a sandy area littered with man-made trees that had various ropes and leaves for them to tug at with their trunks. Sure these animals were cool, but I felt like once you'd seen one lion, you'd pretty much seen 'em all. They just didn't hold the same intrigue as my cold-blooded creatures did. I skimmed through this area quickly, not really sparing a second glance as I went.

I don't know what it was about reptiles and amphibians that interested me so damn much, but I'd been obsessed with them for as long as I could remember. Each species was just so unique and living proof of just how far evolution had come. Some were able to camouflage in with their surroundings effortlessly, others had scales that were more for show and decorated with gorgeous shapes and patterns. Some were peaceful creatures that made for easy pets, while others were more exotic and deadly. Their tanks were always representative of whatever ecosystem that they would normally be found in, and it never failed to engross me seeing these animals acting as they would in their natural habitats. It was a rare treat, and a pastime I hadn't publicly been able to partake in for a few years now.

Statues of frogs and various lizards littered the garden area that framed the walkway leading up to the building, their metal surfaces shimmering in the morning sunlight. I stopped to check out a few of them, trying to identify the proper species as I went.

When I entered the actual building, I was engulfed in the familiar atmosphere of the herp house that I had grown to know and love. Dim lighting and air conditioning welcomed me as I stepped through the doors, just as I welcomed the merciful shelter from the unforgiving California sun. The entire building was without lights and the only real lighting came from the walls, which were decorated with various tanks and cages.

I wasted no time in venturing through the exhibits, looking into every window and getting a special peek into each of these animals' lives. There were the green tree frogs, blending easily into their lush surroundings. I always had fun trying to find and count them all, like a tricky game of "I Spy". Then there were the East African clawed geckos, found only in Ethiopia and Somalia. Their tails were short and oddly shaped due to the fat that they store in there, but despite that pretty gross fact I still I found them to be somewhat cute. The fact that they're adorable and pretty easy to take care of, I often found myself debating on whether or not I should buy some of my own whenever I stopped by their habitat. I went on to soak up all of the views of the various boids-boas and pythons-that they held, as those had always been my favorites.