chapter 1 » world's fair hotel

Ajax exited the room, a slight pep in her step while Paramore came through her earbuds

Ajax exited the room, a slight pep in her step while Paramore came through her earbuds. She actually talked to Peter Parker and while she rambled, she didn't completely screw up. Nothing horrendous happened and the world didn't totally implode. Seeing as she only talks to two people besides her teachers, this was like, a huge milestone and it being Peter, made it that much bigger. Talking to a cute boy after admiring him from afar, scary business.

Ajax trailed to her next class with her heart beating the sound of a different drum. Luckily, it was homeroom so she was able to draw and keep herself focused on the possibility of studying with Peter.

Following Homeroom came her art class to which she just had to swap out what she was drawing. The topic of the month was buildings so she was happily sketching the New York skyline, other students finding the Houston skyline and the Vegas Strip more entertaining.

With graphite stained hands, the class ended and Ajax made her way to the opposite end of the school for Mythology. She rested her books on her desk at the back of the class and took her seat, the white wire from her earbuds just barely being hidden by her white hair.

As with every day and every other class, Peter strolled in seconds before the bell rang. His eyes fell Ajax, turning his cheeks a brilliant shade of red.

"Thanks." Peter says as he hands Ajax her notebook back.

"Anytime." She gave him a cornered smile, putting her notebook to the side of her desk, perfectly aligning it with the corner.

"And, uh, May said it's fine. So, uh, if-if you want, I can just meet you outside?" Peter offers softly before their teacher pulled their attention.

"Okay." Ajax agrees, attempting to bite back her smile not wanting to let her excitement seep through.

Peter heads to his desk on the opposite side of the room, his smile lighting up the room with every step he takes.

"Everything off your desks besides a number two pencil. Pop quiz." Their teacher, Mrs. Bing, states, pulling out scantrons and little booklets.

Peter shakes his head as he turns to look at Ajax. Her gaze met his with a shit-eating grin. The whole purpose of pop quizzes are to make sure students are studying and paying attention. They're surprises and yet, Ajax knew and this was the only Mythology class of the day.

Ajax bites her lip before looking in front of her, taking the papers that were being passed back to her. Peter's stared lingered, touches of confusion and awe washing over him. She was truly, and literally, something else.

Ajax worked on her quiz and finished it before everyone else, coming as no surprise to her teacher.

"Easy?" Mrs. Bing asks when Ajax brings up the booklet and scantron.

"Always." She smiles, stuffing her hands in the pouch of her hoodie.

"Did you double check your answers?"