chapter 17 » fate or bad decisions

Ajax and Peter spent the next hour or so talking

Ajax and Peter spent the next hour or so talking. Ajax felt no paranoia in talking to him thanks to the new AI. Instead, it was just happiness, blissful peace, serenity. It was truly the perfect ending to a lovely Christmas.

She missed her parents especially on holidays but Tony, Pepper, Rhodey, Happy, and Peter lessened the blow. The memories of her parents lingered in the back of her head but with the help of her home, it felt okay. She didn't feel guilty for being happy and celebrating with them. She felt as though they'd be happy for her and that's the important part.

But, something of importance, she really admitted her love for Peter. And he said it back. He did. And he does. He's known for a long time that he loved her but like a doe, he didn't want to scare her and he'll be forever happy that he didn't just tell her. He's forever happy he waited for her to tell him, to make sure she was ready and that she meant it and she did. Fuck she means it more than anything which just added to the fun of their conversation and Peter's nervous stutter barely even there with the passing time. He was safety for Ajax and Ajax was comfort for him.

Now, it's the next morning and Ajax is in the lab with Tony, the two of them going over a few things about her suit when her phone goes off. She looks and sees it's a text from Harry.

Harry:
Tonight's the night, meet me at Oscorp at 5

"Show time." Ajax looks to Tony before typing a quick reply.

"You sure you can handle this?"

"You'll be lurking in the shadows if I can't, right?" Ajax huffs.

"Do I need to be?"

Ajax shakes her head. "I can hnadle it but ya know, first time going out there and it's Peter I'm looking out for.I don't know. Just, you always keep tabs so-"

"It was rhetorical, Jax. You've got a tracker, too." Tony says but there's still worry written across Ajax's face. "You can do it. You and Mr. Parker will make a good team."

"That's not what I'm worried about." Ajax admits. "If I'm wrong and he just uses me to help him and not as bait, it's all for nothing."

"Where's he want you to meet?"

"Oscorp." Ajax's eyes widen with the response showing her nerves.

"I don't like that." Tony shakes his head.

"Yeah, me either but do I have much choice? There's not much choice in going back now."

"Meet here. Say you need the tech here to help with whatever he needs."

"He won't go for it." Ajax shakes her head."No way, he'snot stupid."

Tony takes a deep breath. "There's an emergency alert system. You say the word and I'll be there in minutes. You'll have KARL in your ear, just say FRIDAY and he'll alert me."