chapter 5 » sleep deprivation

Hours past, Ajax barely even moving in her much-needed rest

Hours past, Ajax barely even moving in her much-needed rest. The truth was that she hadn't gotten more than a few hours of sleep in months. Of course, technically speaking, no one can 'catch up on sleep' but that doesn't mean one can't try. Ajax's body was exhausted. Her head ached, her bones were ready to crumble. Twenty-four hours of sleep wouldn't even do the right job.

However, her sleep would be coming to stop. Peter waited for her to wake up but it was now reaching nine. Queens needed Spider-Man and he knew it would be a bad idea to leave Ajax alone with May. It wasn't May he was worried about it, rather, Ajax. He feared that she might think he deserted her and would immediately close back up or be horrendously mad at him. Peter didn't want to risk it, not to mention, she would need to get home soon with it being a school night. So, Peter got up from his desk and carefully walked over to his bed. Ajax's white hair laid sporadically across his pillow but her face was peaceful. It almost hurt Peter that he had to wake her. She never looked this calm and content. In fact, Peter hadn't even noticed but Ajax seemed to have constant worried, timid even, wrinkles but while she slept, nothing. Just, calm, content, beautiful.

"Ajax." Peter whispers, standing beside her awkwardly. "Ajax," Peter whispers a little louder but she doesn't move at all. "Hey," Peter's voice comes up and Ajax's chest just rises and falls with every breath. Peter knelt beside his bed and despite knowing how Ajax feels about touching, he didn't want to start yelling and figured lightly shaking her would wake her. "Ajax." Peter says, his hand resting on her shoulder.

Ajax's eyes shoot open and with one quick motion, she was sitting and a small burst fire spit from her palms, directly at Peter with a terrified yell from the both of them. Ajax's chest heaved while Peter, quite literally, flipped out of the way just before the flames hit him. It happened so fast neither of them were able to fully comprehend what was going on until they made eye contact. Ajax's were still wide and her jaw slack while Peter's eyes were horrified and his heart nearly coming from his chest.

She really just did that. It's the one thing that's been ingrained her since day one. No one can know. No one. When people find out, they will use it against you. She's been told it a hundred times. Over and over like a mantra. Her dad told her when he was teaching her to control her powers before he died. Her mom continued the pattern until she died and then Tony picked up where she left off.

Ajax has been listening to it constantly and she never wanted anyone to know. Luckily, her parents never received much trouble, not until right before her dad died anyway. But, she did have Tony to look to. She knew the stories. The stories that almost got Pepper killed, the one that paralyzed Rhodey. Ajax knew and she'd be damned if she allowed that to happen to anyone she cared about. But now her vibrant blue eyes are matched with Peter's caramel saucers and she's fucking terrified.

"Y-yo-you almost set me on fire." Peter stammers.

"H-how the fuck did you move that fast?" Ajax nearly yells as she gets up from his bed, avoiding his question and choosing to focus on him.