chapter 8 » H.L.B.

The word may have been stuttered but it wasn't full of anxiety like Ajax would have expected

The word may have been stuttered but it wasn't full of anxiety like Ajax would have expected. Instead, it was...calm, almost nonchalant. Ajax was his thing that made his heart stop and his breathing hitch.

Maybe it was that Peter knew all she needed was someone, someone her own age not to walk out, someone who understood what it's like to have the ability to just kill people at the young age of only sixteen. Maybe it was that she held herself like no one he's ever met or maybe it's the hairs that stick up on the back of his neck and the way a knot forms in the pit of his stomach whenever she's anywhere near him. Whatever it was, she was his thought process.

"Me?" Ajax quirked a brow as she scanned over Peter's face that was quickly turning a vibrant red.

"Uh," Peter's mouth goes dry as she questions him. "Yeah...I don't know." He shrugs. "I-it's you."

What to do with that information. Ajax can almost hear Tony in her ear, rambling on about how she should let Peter in as a friend and just to be careful as she always was. His incessant voice making her want to grimace already. And it only made her want to rebel. She was so torn.

How could she possibly feel like home to Peter? How could she feel like anything besides damaged goods to him? She only gave him information when she had to and that's it. Ajax has this past he doesn't have a clue about and yet here he is, looking at her with innocent eyes and a heart of pure gold that doesn't deserve anything to happen to him. He's perfect.

"I'm sorry." Ajax says, the corner of her mouth tugged into a sorry smile.

Peter's brows furrow and his heart feels like she's just pushed it off the top of Mount Everest. "W-what? Wh-what are you s-sorry for?"

Ajax sighs and the remorse is written in every light blue line of her eyes. "Bad news, Parker."

"Nah," Peter shakes his head and his eyes narrow. "I, uh, I don't think so."

Ajax scoffs. "Yeah? Why won't Tony let me train?"

"Um...your own safety?" Peter sits up completely and pulls his knees up, resting his arms around them.

"Or the safety of others." Ajax corrects him.

"What?" Peter's face scrunched together with confusion. Sure, she had the ability to hurt people, but she couldn't, would she?

"I'm not getting into it but, it's not me. He can say it is but I know he thinks if he lets me train, I'll end up being someone he has to fight and later kill."

Peter stares at her as he contemplates how to respond. He's tired of her going from hot and cold. One second she's fine and the next she's not. All Peter wants to do is grab her by the shoulders and beg her to tell him everything so he can help her, so he can tell her that there's nothing wrong with her or whatever it is that she could possibly think about herself.