Chapter XIII: McGonagall Saves The Day

I run out of the Hall, pushing the big doors open as I run to the stairs on my right. Dropping to the floor, I weep into the golden colour of the stairs, the stairs now glistening with my tears. 

Why was I crying? Maybe it's a good thing I got picked into 2 houses. 

But it wasn't.

I continue to cry letting out all of the embarrassment in my body. What would mother think of me? Crying like this on the ground. She would have already been on my tail, telling me to get off my butt and start behaving like an 11-year-old. 

"You seem a little lost, dear." I look up to find a very creepy looking guy towering over me, a cane firmly held in his hand. 

His hair had seemed like it had been drenched in buckets of grease as it gleamed quite repulsive with the castle lights. His teeth crooked as his mouth slightly ajar, while his skin crinkled in a disgusting yellow. 

"Well?" The man had opposed a bit louder, causing me to lean back in my spot as he came neared his face, to get a look at me from the net of hair in front of it. 

"I... I just - um-"

"Apollyon! The Headmaster is looking for you. NOW!" As I had struggled to get an answer out to the strange man, a voice not far had saved me from being beaten to a pulp. I lift my head up slightly to realize my saviour was Professor McGonagall. 

As soon as she had heard the big doors slam, McGonagall begins to speak once more. 

"I see you've met the school caretaker, Mr Pringle." I keep quiet, not saying a word as McGonagall just stands there, awaiting a reply. Silence fills the room for a few moments. then I hear some shuffling as McGonagall paces towards me sitting rather antsy beside me on the stairs, breathing in the wistful air. 

"Are you quite alright, Miss Griffin?" I look up at her, pushing the right side of my hair out of my face. I think about my words carefully, I didn't want to ruin my first impression in front of one of my Head of Houses.

"Yes." I manage to mutter out of my mouth as I look away again. 

McGonagall clears her throat and I glance her way again, to see her watching me like a hawk. 

"Don't be offended, but... I don't see why you have to be so sad." I look up at her, eyebrows raised.

McGonagall clears her throat again, this time to clear the awkward air. 

"I, like you, Miss Griffin, was a Hatstaller. It's not easy to be sorted into a House just like that. I remember being quite nervous, actually, to a point where I didn't want to be sorted into a House."

"My mother had been sorted into Gryffindor herself and had always boasted about how I was going to be an amazing Gryffindor as well. For a moment, I was so sure that I was going to be placed in Gryffindor until the Hat had been put on my head."

I look up at McGonagall, surprised to see that such a stern woman could have such emotion seeping from inside her. She gets up from her spot and slowly makes her way to the Great Hall, stopping to wait for me.

"Well, come on. I think you have cried enough today." I shake my head not wanting to go back into that dreaded Hall. 

"Andrea, please do not be stubborn. Come along now." I shake my head yet again sticking to the stairs as McGonagall sighs frustratedly, recognizing defeat.

"Very well. Follow me then." She walks up the stairs and I follow in suit, a bit relieved that I wouldn't have to face the crowds of Hogwarts once more. As I observe around me, I noticed that objects inside the paintings were moving, some of which greeted Professor McGonagall and I as we moved onto the next flight of stairs. 

Speaking of the stairs, each staircase was moving like the gears in a pocket watch. As we stepped onto another staircase, it swipes us over to the other side of the castle.

Walking up I notice a painting of a fat lady in a pink dress staring at us in confusion.

"Dinner finished early, Professor?" McGonagall makes a ghost of a smile. 

"Miss Griffin here is feeling a bit ill." The fat lady holds her gaze on me for a few moments before gasping abruptly. 

"You're the house traitor, aren't you?!" 

"Enough!" The fat lady looks at McGonagall and sighs.

"Password?" 

"Felix Culpa." The portrait swings open to reveal a round hole in the wall, in which McGonagall pushes me through, following behind. 

"Now in the fairness of the other students, it will be best to go over simple ground rules with you. The woods at the end of the school are forbidden to every student in the school. There is to be no late night strolls unless you would like a beating from Mr Pringle himself." I gulp at the mention of the creepy caretaker. 

"Tomorrow, Dumbledore will meet you in his office at 8 in the morning to resolve your... situation. His office is located on the third floor, though you must enter from the second floor, because of the gargoyle that guards his office. The password is aqua vitae."

"How will I be able to find this 'gargoyle'?" I ask politely.

"There will be some Gryffindor's kind enough to lead you there." I nod and stand there awkwardly. 

"To your left is the boy's dormitory, which I would advise you not to go into and to your left the girls. I have already requested your luggage to be placed there temporarily until we sort out your... situation-" McGonagall stops talking as I wrap my arms around her warmly, hopefully showing an immense sign of thanks. 

"Thank you, Professor." I breathe out as I let go of the Professor, who of course, seemed quite shocked at my gesture, a curve just peeking out from the side of her lips before quickly vanishing.

"Go on now." She waits for me to head to the stairs towards the girls' dormitory before heading off back to the banquet. 

"Oh and Miss Griffin." I turn back to find McGonagall just by the exit.

"And what shall I tell Mr Potter if he asks about you?" I smile slightly. I had completely forgotten about James, my bad.

 "Please tell him I am fine and that he does not have to worry about me." I walk up the stairs and open the girl's dormitory to reveal five four-poster beds aligned perfectly with deep red curtains that hung modestly.

I notice my trunk placed at the bed nearest the window and I thank the person who had actually placed my luggage in front of this perpetual view.

Too exhausted from all of the emotion shared today, I quickly change into my pyjamas, which was a bit awkward as the quietness spread and sunk into the sheets, deciding to send a letter to Mother tomorrow.