Cross My Heart

I walked down the steps holding my Katana in my hand. The house was somewhat quiet which concerned me. I sat my katana by the base of the stairs and walked through the living room. I assume that Mark was either taking Chica on a walk or still upstairs getting dressed since I didn't hear him down here. I had put on a simple black jumpsuit with black combat boots. My hair stayed tied in a tight bun behind my head since I didn't have any clue what would be going on today. Tom may put us to work, or just show us around, but I'm prepared for anything. I walked into the silent kitchen and looked around. I can't deny, it was weird here. Nice house, quiet neighborhood; Mark, Chica, and I..... Things felt natural which made me feel unnatural. My feet lightly shuffled to the pantry and slid the doors open. It was filled with food which made my stomach feel light, I haven't seen this much food at one time since the apocalypse first started and I was stacked with food. A small smile formed on my face as I reached up and grabbed a box of cereal from one of the shelves. The room around me was silent and for some reason it was bothering me. I was used to hearing Mark's annoying ass voice while I was preparing breakfast. Staying over my shoulder asking 'What's for breakfast today cookie?' I always thought to myself, when am I gonna finally wake up and not hear this shit. Now that I don't hear him I'm not feeling the way I thought I would. It took me a small while to search the kitchen and finally find the bowls and spoons, once I did I broke into a small happy dance. I shuffled my way to the counter, sitting the bowl and spoon down onto it. I hummed to myself as I slightly swayed my hips and opened the box of cereal. For some reason I was happy right now, I was content with everything going on in this crazy ass life. The room filled with sounds of the cereal hitting the bowl and my humming. Once my bowl was full I closed up the box and sat it on the counter. My fingers grabbed over the rim of the bowl and lifted it from the counter, I turned to head towards the fridge. My whole body jumped and my cereal went flying all over the floor as I turned to see Mark standing in the middle of the kitchen floor. He stood staring at me with his arms crossed over his chest, he held a smug grin. I can admit his stance was very sexy, he held an intimidating aura which I did like but at the end of the day he just now scared the shit out of me. "I liked your dancing" He kept that smug grin held after he finished talking. I sat my bowl back onto the counter and let out a hard sigh as I dropped down and started picking up cereal. I didn't reply to him due to the fact that I was slightly annoyed. I wasn't really annoyed at him, just more pissed that I dropped perfectly good food on the ground and now it had to be thrown away. The room stayed silent as he bent down in front of me and started helping me pick up the small pieces of cereal off of the floor. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you cookie" He softly spoke out. I glanced over at him, his brown eyes were soft and he looked at me seriously. I averted my eyes quickly, fuck me, how the hell did he manage to do that. I could feel my cheeks start to heat up as my eyes stayed focused on the floor. I've known Mark for about 2 and a half weeks now and as many times as he's pissed me off he always had a way of pulling me out of my anger and making me forgive him.

I remember when he first did it, it was the same day I had told him my actual name. We were sitting on the couches playing head bands, He was a snowman and I had already gone through 2 cards while he was still stuck on his first. He was whining the whole damn time about how his card was too hard and I was cheating, which I wasn't at all, he was just a sore loser. He ended up chucking the card off of his head strap and it swerved right to my face, placing a small cut under my eye. I started flipping out because I was already upset about having him there and on top of that he was fucking up my face. In the middle of me cursing him out he just grabbed my chin with a strong hold and faced my face towards him. He looked me in the eye as he placed a wet rag to the cut and just stared at me. At first it was weird but the moment my eyes would glance away he would just lightly tap my chin and my eyes would shoot right back to his. Then out of the blue he just lowly spoke out 'I'm sorry Y/N, I really did not mean to do that' I could physically hear the guilt in his voice and I couldn't do anything else but nod and tell him it was OK. That was when I first realised that I was in trouble here. This guy was a genuine person and that was hard to come by in this day and life, and I think that's why I was starting to get so attracted to him.