Past life

I could hear my stomach rumble as I stirred the stew. When we had gotten back to this Camp Wade's group returned. We skinned the bear, and deer, and fish that were brought back. After everything was skinned and cleaned Wade separated into rations. He sent Mark and I back with 2 deer legs and 5 fish. It was gonna be enough to get us through the next couple of days. Mark had constructed a makeshift stove with some wood, a few pieces of paper, and some wire that he found outside of the camp. I had found some old pots in the cabnets in the kitchen and a few cans of cream of mushroom soup that haven't expired yet. The smell of the food lingered through the small apartment and Chica and Appa were happily chomping down on some extra deer meat. Mark was sitting in the living room talking with Bailey as they waited. From time to time I could hear one of the laugh which made our situation better. At least they could find something to make them smile in the midst of all this bullshit.

I stirred the pot as I focused on myself. I still had to talk to Mark about everything that's been going on. I never liked to explain how I actually had gotten this bite. The story hurt to tell and it was a bad memory. I mean I was never the type to show feelings or even really care about other people, but James... that man had my fucking heart. He knows that he did. I would have done anything for him and he basically spit in my face and told me to die when he did what he did. I hissed out as a hot sting burned on my hand. I looked down to see that the stew was boiling now. I leaned down, blowing out the fire as I continued to stir. Once it was out I stood back up straight. I lifted the spoon out of the pot and examined the piece of meat that was on it. It seemed to be fully cooked through and it smelled great. I poured some of the stew into the extra pots that's I found and grabbed the few spoons that I found. They seemed pretty clean so I wouldn't hesitate with using them. I grabbed two of the pots by their handles and sighed a little. While forcing a half of a smile onto my face I made my way into the living room. Mark and Bailey sat onto the old couch and both of their eyes landed on me. I could see a small smile form onto Mark's face as I rounded the couch and approached them.

"Oh gosh, HOT FOOD" Mark moaned out as I handed them their pots. I could feel a small happiness fill me as Bailey smiled wide. "Thank you" she politely thanked me as she took her pot. I turned to head back into the kitchen as Mark cleared his throat. Chica and Appa were laying on the floor chewing on the deer feet that Mark had taken from Wade. "Hey Bailey, how about you go eat in the room with Chica and Appa while we talk" Mark sweetly suggested to her. I grabbed my pot from off of the counter and headed back into the living room. As I made my way back into the living room Bailey was heading to the small bed room. "Appa, Chica, Come on!" She happily yelled out as she turned back to the living room. When we had gotten back Mark had lit some candles throughout the house so the bedroom was lit up. As I sat down onto the couch Appa and Chica had lazily hopped up. They both held their deer feet into their mouths as they followed Bailey. Once they were both in Bailey closed the door behind them. "She's a sweetheart ya know" He lowly chuckled out. I shrugged as I smirked "She is tolerable" I replied to him. I could see a smirk pull at his lips "You like her" He chuckled out before putting the spoon into his mouth. He hissed before he quickly spit the stew out. I couldn't help but laugh a little as he burned himself. He quickly covered his mouth as he looked at me embarrassed. I looked away trying to pretend as if I didn't see anything.

He sighed a little and when I looked back at him he had a serious look on his face. "So..... Let's talk" He seriously spoke out. I could feel my mood shift back to nervousness. "Well... I don't know where to start" I lowly replied as I looked down. I could feel his hand lightly land on my leg "Start wherever you feel comfortable" He tried to comfort me. I sighed a little "Well as I said before I stayed at my dorm when the outbreak happened. After a few weeks of me being cooped up I was starting to get bored, so I decided to train myself" I looked up at him and He looked confused. "I used to go out with my katana and throwing knives, taking out small hoards....It was an adrenaline rush and good practice" I chuckled a little as I shook my head. "One day I was out and I had taken out a heard of runners, It was one of my hardest take downs but I managed. As I was collecting my throwing knives I heard some noise in the bushes. I turned, ready to fight, but then he stepped out" I paused a little. I remember this day like it was yesterday and It triggered me. "His name is James. He had shorter hair when I had first met him and he was out hunting. I wasn't a people person" I stopped when I heard him chuckle. Mark stopped laughing when he saw me looking at him. "S-sorry, just hard to believe that you weren't a people person" He sarcastically joked out. I just rolled my eyes and flicked him off. "Anyways, he introduced himself to me and this man was charismatic. He had such a nice smile and such a positive outlook on things. Told me that I was a really good fighter and that he had a small camp. Told me that if I fought with his people then they'd protect me, feed me, I wouldn't have a bother in the world anymore" I looked down a little.