WANTED: A Faithful Boyfriend

~Emma Smith~

I sat up on my bed and scrolled through some old text messages sent between me and Jake before the break-up:

Boifrend
1:05 AM

Boifrend
Hey girlie

Emms
Jake how are u still awake???

Boifrend
I stay awake 4 my girlfriend

Emms
I'm sleepy

Boifrend
Guess what girlie?

Emms
What

Boifrend
I love you.

I stopped scrolling and stared at the message. That was the first time he had said that to me. I blinked back tears.

Emms
You love me?

Boifrend
Ofc I love you yur my girlfriend

Emms
then I love you too boyfriend

1:19 AM

Emms
Ok gn

I remembered how I felt that night. When he sent those words, they felt genuine. Like he actually loved me. The three words, "I love you", aren't words you just throw around.
You say them to someone whom you care for deeply.
But for him, that wasn't me anymore.

A light turned on in the conjoining room. Joe saw that I was up in the middle of the night. He peeked his head into the room.

"Everything okay Emms? Why are you on your phone this late?"

I looked up at him walking down the stairs, "I'm alright. Just reading old texts from Jake."

"That's not a fabulous idea."

"I know."

"You know what Emma? Forget that sick bastard. Focus on the fact that you're meeting the cast of your dreams tomorrow."

I showed the time on my iPhone to Joe, 3:59 AM. "Actually, today."

"Not the point. Anyway, forget him. You are doing what every fan of that damn tv show would kill to do."

Joe glanced down and smiled at me. I did the same back.

~

"JOE JOE JOE WAKE UP!" I pounced on Joe still fast asleep on the couch. He was drooling all over my pillow. "YOU WEREN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO SLEEP THERE, I WAS! I HAD TO PASS OUT ON THE FLOOR!"

He rolled over, knocking me off his back. "Just a bit more sleep..."

"NO! I'M GOING TO SEE THE STRANGER THINGS CAST TODAY AND YOU HAVE TO BE A FUNCTIONING HUMAN FOR THAT!"

He turned back to face me, "Don't you mean they're coming here?"

I looked at him with my eyes wide and my mouth open, "THEY'RE COMING H E R E? Like, ACTUALLY?! CRAP I didn't know they were coming for the day, I thought they were only staying tonight! Now we have to clean!"

"You got it. Now stop yelling you're going to wake up everyone in the house."

"I already woke them up."

"Emma!"

"What? I'm excited. And Aunt M requests for you in the living room. She wants to talk about where everyone is sleeping, yadda yadda ya. I wasn't really listening. But I requested for Millie and Sadie to stay here with me, so I'm kicking you in a different room. You can choose to room with the boys or not."

"Seriously?"

"Yes I am fully serious. Now gET UP!"