Hunting - Sniper x Reader

In your opinion, ceasefire days were the best days. In other's opinions, like Heavy's, they were the worst days because he couldn't shoot anyone, but for you there was nothing you would enjoy better. Every ceasefire day was when most of the mercs went into bat shit crazy mode, everyday was a party for everyone (not just Demo, who treated every day like a party, beer bottle constantly in hand), a party that would last until three in the morning when everyone had a splitting headache and couldn't stand anymore. Then Medic would give everyone the medicine he'd invented to cure hangovers and the whole process would repeat again. Party, sleep, drink, repeat.

Except for a few people. Medic and Spy usually slouched off to do their own work, and you and Sniper would often go hunting. When he'd first offered to teach to you how to use a rifle, it was for training purposes only. But over time the two of you spent more and more time together, and you didn't like admitting it but you had started to develop feelings for him. Every ceasefire you would go hunting with him, it became sort of like a routine.

Of course, you told yourself hunting too was for training purposes and training purposes only. Recently you'd began to feel lightheaded around him, blushing more and whenever he left your legs would feel weak. The only time you could concentrate was when you were looking down your scope, away from his handsome face. Just thinking about telling him how you felt made your brain go offline, your tongue would sit heavily in your mouth, your palms would be slick with sweat, your pulse would speed up tenfold and your head would swim.

Those were the only reasons you never told him how you felt. Those, and the fact that he would never be into someone like you. You always kept telling yourself that, despite not knowing the truth, but he never really showed any feeling towards you. And if he didn't like you, what point was there in hoping?

''Ay, you ready to get outta here?' Sniper tossed you your rifle as he put on his hat. It annoyed your how cute it made him look with his had just a bit lop-sided, like it was just then. You had to resist the urge to let out a small sigh of happiness.

'Y-yeah, let's go.' You said, trying not to stammer too much. You slung your jacket over your shoulder and followed Sniper away from the music that was pounding from the Rec Room. As you walked behind him, you couldn't help but study the way he fiddled absentmindedly with the scope on his rifle, tapping a rhythm on it or twisting it from side to side. You'd never seen him do this before, and you would know, because you had a habit of watching him.

And yes, you realised how creepy that actually sounded.

Was he nervous about something? You'd never seen anything faze these men, you barely saw their facial expressions change. Scout often smiled and cracked really bad jokes, and Sniper smiled a lot more often around you than the other mercs, but that was pretty much it. Heavy looked almost happy when he sent bullets tearing through the enemy team.

You only realised that you'd been watching him in some sort of trance when you stepped outside, the cool air clearing your mind a bit. Sniper opened the door to his camper and climbed in, and you followed suit.

'So uh...wh-where to this time?' You managed to say without your tongue twisting like it usually did.

'There's a pretty good place near 'ere, though it's a tad high up. Thought we might try shootin' birds this time.' He gave you one of his gorgeous half-smiles before starting up the engine. He twisted the keys in the ignition, making the engine sputter slightly before turning off. He frowned, giving the keys a sharp jerk in the ignition, but the same thing happened. 'Bloody Scout didn't fill the tank!' He growled to himself.

'Y-you said it's not far, right? So...so couldn't w-we walk there?' Your sentences were becoming less and less audible with each word.

'I...I guess we could, yeah.' He sighed. You both got out of the van, and he motioned for you to follow him. 'This way.'