Chapter 1

Astrid

"Hey, wake up."

It was a kind voice. He nudged my arm and I realised I had fell asleep on the job.

I sat up quickly and brushed my hair out of my eyes.

"Sorry, how can I help you?"

I looked up. It was Noah Winters. Noah was the boy that everyone loved at school. He was funny, happy and carefree. He was kind to everyone and was always smiling. He sat with all the 'popular' people at lunch times and could cheer anyone up. Not to mention he was the most gorgeous male I had ever laid eyes on. 

It was a shock to see him looking stressed and tired.

He had a young, sleeping toddler in his arms and his school backpack that looked stuffed to the brim. She looked about one, maybe two years old. She was leaning her head on his shoulder and dribbling, clearly fast asleep. It had just passed midnight so I didn't blame her. 

We were in my Uncle Duke's Diner and I was on the till. I worked a lot. I needed the money. I looked around quickly to make sure no-one had noticed and breathed a sigh of relief when I realised the diner was empty, except two of my brothers Austin and Freddie, who were in the year above and eating chips in a booth. They didn't care if I slept on the job and kept an eye on me at school.

"Hey, it's Allie, right?" He asked.

"Astrid James." I replied.

"Can I have a portion of chips and a hot chocolate for Maisie. Wait, I can't afford that-"

"Hot chocolate, on the house." I said, smiling. I didn't want to see the disappointment in a child ever. I also loved giving out free food as a screw you to Duke. 

"Thanks," He said, giving me a shy smile.

He carried Maisie over to a booth and sat her down, she leaned against the wall and fell asleep again, almost immediately. She clung to Noah when he tried to put her down but she clung to his arm, whining. He looked over at me, panicked and I offered him a smile, 

"I'll bring it over."

I stood and watched as he slid into the booth and lifted the sleeping toddler onto his lap. She was obviously exhausted the poor thing. She had an old pair of welly's on that were a rainbow pattern and a dress up costume of snow white. Her hair was stuck up on one side where she had slept on her side, it made her look adorable though.  She had obviously been dragged out of bed and by the looks of it, she didn't seem happy about it. 

"She's cute." I said.

"She is." He replied.

I gave Noah the chips and hot chocolate and walked away back to the till. I didn't want to intrude. I didn't really make friends very often, I kept to myself. It was easier that way, less secrets and less problems. I had Max anyway I didn't need friends. It was always fascinating to talk to people though - it always fascinated me that they were living a whole life for themselves and we would never know what someone else's life was like. 

I watched Noah try to make Maisie eat something. She was being fussy, whining whenever he lifted a chip to her mouth. The ones that did go into her mouth fell out soon after as she was just too tired to chew and landed all down her front and on the floor. Noah didn't eat any of the chips himself and he just hugged Maisie and fed her chips, looking desperate. 

"Come on, this might be the last meal we have in a while." He said, quietly.

I heard though.

I began to cook myself some chips and Noah some chips. I hadn't had tea yet and neither had he. He obviously needed help of some sort, even if it was just a packet of greasy chips and a hot chocolate. And anyway, Duke was paying.