Chapter 10

When Declan's family got the news about Emmie they moved to the coast. They said I could come with them if I wanted, but I didn't go.

They also said I could visit anytime, but for the past year I hadn't had the guts to. On my 19th birthday they sent me their address in a birthday card.

"So were going?" Noah asked.

I nodded.

We had put all of our suitcases in the back and decided to bring Maisie along with us. She was strapped in her car seat and was already asleep.

"How you feeling?" Noah asked.

I shrugged.

I hadn't seen them in so long. They probably didn't want to see me. They probably were going to hate me.

"Can you pretend and act like your gay?" I asked.

Noah looked at me confused. "Why?"

"Because, I don't know how they'd react if they knew I had moved on."

That shut him up.

We listened to music for the rest of the journey and I slept.

"Astrid, were here." He announced.

I looked out the window and took in my surroundings. We were by the coast and out of my side was the nicest cottage that I had ever seen.

"Is that it?" I asked, amazed.

"That's the address, they gave you." He replied.

He got out of the car and began to unplug Maisie out of her car seat.

I took deep breaths and got out of the car.

I went and knocked on the door, whilst Noah was seeing to Maisie.

Jessica slowly opened the door.

She had changed her appearance a lot in the past year. Before she had long, brown curls that reached her waist and straightened it and dyed it blue.

She had a nose piercing and several cartilage piercings. Before she wore baggy comfy clothes and now she wore a tight tank top, short shorts and heeled boots.

She had a pierced belly button and a star tattoo on her stomach. Before she never wore makeup but now she had every single product on her face, with blue eyeliner and lipstick to match her hair.

"Astrid?" She looked shocked.  

I stood in the door tears filling my eyes. This was my best friend. I hadn't seen her in a whole year and I was so heartbroken when she moved away.

She moved away from my life almost like she never existed in the first place. She deleted her social medias, changed her phone number and moved away.

So far away it would be impossible to see her, easily. She knew Max didn't have the petrol or the money to move to the coast but they moved anyway.

Thanks to Noah, I'm here.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I had to see you again." I said, simply, and that's when a tear poured over.

She walked over and wrapped me in a hug. She buried her head into my shoulder and hugged me tight.

"It's Emmie's, birthday next week." Jessica said, quietly.

I nodded into her arms.

"It's been so difficult around here. It's just been me and Mum. Mum's been out of the house. She goes away for weeks or even months at a time and comes back unannounced, drunk." Jessica said.

Noah walked up behind me with Maisie in his arms.

"Jessica, this is Noah and Maisie." I introduced.

She looked shocked.

"Is that Niomi's daughter?" She asked, looking worried.

Noah nodded, frowning.

"You know about Niomi?" He asked.

"Who's at the door, Jessie?"

I frowned and looked at Noah.

He looked at me with the same horrified expression.

Niomi walked to the front door holding a baby and a horrified expression.