1: Start

RIIIIING!

(YN)'s hand automatically slammed down on the button of her alarm clock, just five seconds after it began ringing. She sat up on her bed, yawning and ready to greet the full moon which can be clearly seen through her glass windows.

She glanced at the clock on her bedside table.

7:30pm

"As always," (YN) thought, "I'm early."
School started at 8:30pm, and she had an hour to prepare herself. Honestly, she would have loved to sleep in especially during a cold night like this but her school had strict rules accompanied by punishments you wouldn't want to go through.

Pushing herself away from the soft, warm mattress even as her conscience begged her to stay, (YN) took a box of matches from her drawer, which she used to light a small lamp and proceeded to make her way over the kitchen. Curse her house which didn't have any electricity at all.

It was weird, really. A month passed since (YN) moved into Mavetown and everything here still made her amazed and at the same time, terrified.

Mavetown was a town in a secluded little island which seemed to be far far away from the modern civilization she'd always known. Even radio signals couldn't somehow get through, so basically, (YN) hadn't heard of news from her city for a month. If you wanted to get in-touch with someone outside of the island, you had to write a letter and who knows when it'll be delivered, or if it will ever get delivered at all.

The town also had another weird rule that (YN) couldn't seem to find any sense in at all. All daily activities need to be done during nighttime. Working employees would usually start their shift at 7:00pm, and students like her would go to school when the sun is gone.

Mavetown is a place where day is night, and night is day.

God, this place is confusing her. She couldn't even understand why people still live in here.

For her however, she had a reason for coming into Mavetown.

(YN) slowly set the lamp down on the center of a small, round, kitchen table. She let her hands run on the worn-out wood, which was most likely older than her.

With what little light the lamp could give her, (YN) started searching for the kettle she always hid in one of her cupboards. After her hands felt for the metallic, smooth vessel, she slowly took it out with both arms stretched out while standing on her toes.

She waited as the water boiled, the container of the sugar and the coffee powder standing ready on the kitchen table.

"Meow."

As (YN) sat on one of the old wooden chairs, a single animal sound in the middle of the silence caught her attention.

Whipping her head to the direction of the sound, she came face to face with a black cat which stood just outside of her kitchen window.

Its red eyes stared straight into hers.

~~~

"(YN)!!"

A high-pitched, almost annoying voice called out to her. (YN) could hear footsteps getting closer, and closer, until two arms wrapped around her neck catching her in a sudden tight, and uncomfortable hug.

"I missed you!" The girl squealed.

"Ch-Cherry... let go please..." (YN) asked silently, suddenly aware that every student on the hall had their eyes on them.

The girl let go of her, only to cross her arms and replace her wide grin with a frown. "Am I not allowed to miss my friend?" she complained, her eyes shooting daggers at (YN).

"I-It's not like that... but the weekends are only two days..." she explained calmly, now feeling terrified of her friend who, from the excited little girl a moment ago suddenly turned into someone you shouldn't really mess with.

Cherry had been (YN)'s only friend ever since she'd arrived here. Due to her name, Cherry dyed her shoulder-length hair a bright red, but she'd once told (YN) that it was originally a brown one that matched her eyes. She was a year older than (YN), yet they had become good friends somehow.

"Anyway! Have you heard?" Within a snap, Cherry switched back to her previous self seeming excited to share whatever news she wanted to tell (YN). Cherry had always been the girl for gossips, and if you ever needed to know the latest news about the school or any student that went there, she's the only person you can ask.

"Heard what?" (YN) asked, confused.

"Eeek! How come you haven't? There's a transferee in this school. Everyone's talking about it! I passed by him this evening and he... is... so...HOT!" Cherry squealed again, jumping up and down, her pigtails following her. (YN) couldn't help but laugh at her friend. The girl was all about gossip and boys.

Just in time to ruin the mood, someone coughed behind (YN).

"Excuse me, but if you haven't heard, the bell rang three minutes ago. If you won't hurry to your classes I might give you detention slips."

(YN) turned around and came face to face with the school's student council president. His expression was the usual calm demeanor, as he pushed his eyeglasses up the bridge of his nose. His dark hair which complimented his really pale skin was very neat, and not a single strand was out of place. His uniform was well-ironed and buttoned up to the very top, while in front of his chest pocket, was a badge that each of the student council members usually wore.

What bothered (YN), was the look in his silver eyes when they directly met hers. For some reason, it made her legs shake, and for her to gulp her own saliva down her throat.

"Well? The time is running." He says in a warning tone to the both of them, but his eyes remained fixed on hers.

"Geez! You don't have to be so bossy, Ace." Cherry spat out his name like it was venom, before she marched ahead of (YN).

"A-ah...sorry about her..." (YN) quickly apologized, not meeting his eyes anymore before she ran after Cherry who walked too fast for her to catch up.

"Hm." Ace hummed in delight and curiosity, as a ghost of a smile appeared on his lips after the female ran past him. She didn't wear any perfume at all, but the wind brought a beautiful aroma to his nose... that came from her.