14: Rejected

It had been a week and (YN) was more or so getting used to her position as the assistant. And because she had been spending more time in Ace's office during her breaks, she managed to somehow establish a friendship with him. Although she wasn't sure if the feeling was actually mutual for Ace.

The raven-haired male on the other hand, did quite enjoy having (YN)'s presence near him. He had taken a bit of interest in her ever since their little encounter months back. (YN) seemed like a very adorable and fragile thing, he thought, as a ghost of a smile danced around his lips.

"(YN), wipe the dust off those books from the shelves, would you?"

Command after command had left Ace's lips. (YN) suddenly found herself from working on documents to holding mops and brooms and rags. Yet with every order, she had complied and completed the task to near perfection. She had noted how Ace's frequent calm demeanor would shift to a mixture of little surprise and amusement every time she would enthusiastically approach him to report a job well done.

Ace could dump more tasks on her and she would not yield. (YN) would not yield, and she's going to get that ball.

Without her knowledge, Ace had been enjoying every bit of her positivity. His silver orbs would glimmer in anticipation of what she would do next.
He wondered just how far could her patience stretch.

How long was it before he could make her bubbles burst? Ace chuckled to himself quite darkly. (YN) seemed to be unaware that she had unintentionally started a game with the bespectacled genius.

And Ace was very much willing to play at every level with her.

~~~

"Phew~ Done!" (YN) gave herself a satisfied grin as she placed a heap of files on Ace's desk. All arranged alphabetically, as he had asked.

"Well done. You seem to have outdone yourself again, (YN)," He complimented, picking up the top most document to examine it.

Ace picked up on the prolonged silence and the fact that the female still had not left his desk. Setting down the document, he lifted his eyes to bring attention towards her.

"Yes?" He merely said, sensing that (YN) had wanted to tell him something.

"Well, um..." (YN) fiddled with her fingers. Her eyes darted to the sides, and Ace realized she had been avoiding to meet his eyes.

Interesting. Ace had thought, as he shuffled, leaning forward to cross his fingers atop his desk, "What is it?"

"If it's okay...may I...make a request?" (YN) said, quite hesitatingly. Ace could sense the nervousness in her tone. Quite a rare sight now, coming from the same girl who braved through every difficulty he tried to throw her way.

Ace smirked. Checkmate.

"Oh?" A polite smile found its way to his lips. "It depends on what kind of request, I may or may not grant it."

(YN) gulped. This was it, it was now or never. She had been able to reach this far and she wasn't going to give up on it.

"Um, you see, have you heard of a ball?"

Ace's eyes narrowed as he met her anxious stare "A ball? What are you asking of me?"

"I was wondering if you could draft a letter of request to the headmaster to let us have a ball..." (YN) finally managed to say, although her voice grew smaller with every word released.

The intellectual's eyes grew wide in surprise. This was what she came here for?

He had expected she'd have a motive for working in here, but he didn't think she had that huge of a request in mind. He may be student council president, but matters involving the headmaster, especially for such a large school event, was no easy task for him as well.

Ace tapped his fingers on the wooden desk, seeming to be in contemplation. He smiled up at (YN).

"No," were his only words before shooing her away with a hand gesture as he turned in his chair to face the other way. She was dismissed.

"W-what?! But please!" (YN) stepped closer, bracing her hands on his desk.

"No," Ace repeated. "You can go ask someone else, do a petition, get a bunch of students to sign it, do whatever you want. Or you can ask the headmaster yourself. I am not going to write a letter."

This can't end here, (YN) thought. She worked so hard to gain somewhat of a recognition from Ace and she wouldn't accept being turned down right away. (YN) stepped away from his desk, moving to stand right beside his seat, much to Ace's surprise.

"Please!" She begged once more.

Ace sighed, pushing up his glasses before standing from his seat, now towering over the girl. "A no is a no." He firmly said before passing by her, attempting to cross the room all the way over to the exit.

"But please! You're the only one who can convince the headmaster!"

Ace kept walking.

"I'll do anything!"

He stopped.

"Anything now, Miss (YN)?" His voice drawled, sounding like a cat's purr.

"Yes! Anything!" (YN) repeated, willing her own to sound confident.

Slowly, Ace walked towards her, his eyes glinting with amusement. Like a predator assessing its prey. With every step he took in advancement, (YN) stepped backwards. Her stride completely stopped when she felt the hard cold wall pressing against her back.

Ace didn't stop walking until he got close. Too close, she realized as the bespectacled male lowered his head to her level. His own face was mere inches away from hers.

"And what would you be so willing to do, (YN)?" Ace asked, his voice silky and smooth as he bore his eyes on to hers. "If I asked you to stay in here forever and be a good little doll for me, would you do it?"

(YN) gulped as she stared back at him, feeling smaller and smaller under his gaze.

"I...I..." She stammered, unable to come up with a response for the smirking male. But she never needed to respond, when the ringing bells sounded across the hallway from outside Ace's office.

His predatory gaze shifted back to his usual calm, as he took as casual step away from (YN). Turning his back on her, he walked towards the door and opened it.

The sound of chattering students from outside filled the room.

"Classes are starting. Move along now, or you'll be late. I will not write you a letter. No matter what," Ace said with calm finality before departing the room before her, shutting the door gently.

Once he was gone, (YN) found herself sliding towards the floor, with her hand placed on her chest to calm her thundering heart.