5: Friends

"I'm really sorry about my cousin." Jun said with an apologetic smile as soon as they stopped walking. He pulled (YN) into one of the school's unoccupied classrooms, and released his grip on her when he deemed it safe that no one was listening in.

Jun sighed as he pulled out one of the chairs and sat on it, beckoning for (YN) to follow. Confused, the female sat too but because of all the crazy things that happened to her with guys for the past few days, she opted for the seat near the door which was quite a distance from Jun.

Jun laughed at (YN)'s choices, "I can understand why you're keeping your guard up like that. My cousin must've shocked you, right?"

(YN) nodded. "Oh, but it's much worse than that..." she thought, remembering what happened with Shin.

"I guess you can say that Ace has this hidden obsession for...wanting to be above everyone." Jun admitted. This caught (YN)'s interest, causing her to sit up straighter and incline herself towards Jun's direction, "What do you mean?"

"I saw Ace talking to you awhile ago, and I followed you two because I just know that something would happen. I wasn't wrong," Jun's serious emerald orbs made (YN) gulp, "You see, whenever Ace feels like someone's saying that they're 'better' than him, he immediately does a test on that person to see if they're strong or not. I'm sure you must've said something like 'I'm strong' and Ace must have misunderstood that. I hope you can forgive my cousin, it's really just in his personality although he keeps it hidden most of the time. He may have lost control with you."

(YN) nodded in understanding, "So... so it was just a test?" she asked for confirmation, and sighed in relief when Jun nodded. At least, it was clarified that Ace didn't have any ill intentions.

"Although you might want to keep your distance from Ace, he seems to have labelled you as 'weak'." Jun gave a meaningful wink in her direction, causing the female to be taken aback.

"W-what's that supposed to mean?" She asked worriedly, only to be shrugged at. Jun seemed to take the situation lightly.

"I'm not sure I can tell. It's just that, now Ace knows that you're one of the vulnerable types. Don't worry, I can protect you from him, you just have to call me. I'd be willing to play as your knight once again." He flashed a smile in her direction, causing the female's cheeks to redden.

"A-are you flirting with me?" She asked him straightforwardly, although she still seemed taken aback.

"I guess?" Jun laughed, "but even though I'd hate to say this, we're better off as friends first. What do you say?" he extended his arm towards her. (YN) stood up from her seat, and walked closer to where Jun sat, accepting his hand in a firm handshake.

"By the way, I forgot to ask your name."

(YN) smiled at her newfound friend. "It's (YN)."

~~~

"So who were those girls you were hiding from at the garden last time?" (YN) asked Jun the question that had been bothering her for the longest time. Currently, she was eating with Jun at the school's rooftop per the blond's request. She didn't really mind since the place offered a nice view of the night sky and was usually secluded because of scary ghost stories which (YN) didn't really believe.

(YN) usually ate lunch with Cherry, but for the past few days, the senior girl seemed to be really busy with her cheering squad. Cherry felt sorry, thinking that she's leaving (YN) all alone by herself but the younger girl reassured her that she shouldn't worry at all.

Jun, who somehow decided to lay down and rest rather than eat opened one of his eyes, "Hm? Oh...I guess you can call them my 'fangirls,'" sitting up, a long, tired exhale escaped out of Jun's mouth.

"Your fangirls? Wow, are you famous or something?" Jun shook his head in amusement at the female's inquiries. "I don't know either, I guess I'm just a natural lady magnet." he winked at (YN) who scoffed at him in return.

"Ah, I forgot to ask but... I know everyone's faces around school. How come I've never met you before?" The blond's emerald eyes shined with interest as he studied the female. His head tilted to one side curiously.

"Oh, I just moved here a month ago. I used to live at a city from outside here."

Jun suddenly perked up, as he edged closer to (YN). "R-really? You mean, from outside this town? This island?"

She nodded, confused as to why Jun was really shocked. "Why? Have you never gone out of Mavetown before?"

Jun shook his head, quite disappointed, "Weㅡ I haven't... I can't..."

His sulky reply caused (YN) to frown, "What?  Why?"

(YN) noticed how Jun's expression suddenly fell, as he hung his head down. The feeling of guilt pricked inside the female as she attempted to lighten the mood.

"H-hey, so far I think Mavetown's a really great place. You know? This place is really interesting."

Jun raised up his head and gave (YN) a small yet sad smile, as he seemed to understand her intentions, "It's okay," his voice was soft and soothing, "I'd like to know more about your city. But first of all, why did you come here?"

The subject was a bit too bitter for (YN) to tell, but she decided to talk about it to Jun anyway, "I just moved here last month. Actually, my mother died when she gave birth to me, and my father passed away two months ago because of an illness," she felt the sharp appearance of heat in her eyes and she took in a deep breath to prevent herself from crying.

"None of my relatives wanted to take me in, but my uncle who used to live here offered his old house to me. I didn't really have any choice..." Now, she can feel droplets of tears fall from her eyes. (YN) quickly wiped them and forced herself to smile, "I'm so sorry...I don't want to cry at you like this..."

Overwhelmed with pity, Jun suddenly wrapped his arms around the girl, making sure he wasn't hugging her too tight. This took (YN) in by surprise as she momentarily froze, yet soon relaxed in his warm hug like ice melting.

"J-Jun?" The female asked softly, her eyes still damp with tears.

"I'm sorry, you shouldn't have pushed it if you couldn't. I shouldn't have asked." 

(YN) shook her head and Jun soon released her, "It's okay. I guess I just...have to accept things the way they are, right?"

"Why don't I just tell you how my city is like? It's really different from here, I swear." She offered, to which Jun nodded, "I'd love to."

"It's so weird because Mavetown lives during the night..." (YN) trailed off, and Jun looked alarmed at what she said. However, the female soon forgot about that as she started rambling about the things she missed the most from her city that Mavetown didn't have.

The whole time (YN) talked, Jun was watching her with a small smile and a tugging feeling in his heart. The only thing that ruined the moment for him was the black cat which seemed to be watching them from afar.

Jun noticed it and glared, not bothering to tell (YN) after the cat went away.