10: Secrets

"What exactly do I need to know about this place? Mavetown is weird enough already but wha--"

(YN)'s words were abruptly stopped by a single finger which Jun had placed on her lips. (YN) froze, her eyes meeting Jun's.

The two of them sat on the grassy lands of the cemetery, just right under the bright full moon. The air was cool and fresh, and the overall atmosphere was surprisingly nice despite of the bizarre location they were in. Admittingly, this would have been a beautiful experience for (YN) except that she felt a little awkward at the moment.

She and Jun sat cross-legged, face-to-face with each other. His finger still remained on her lips and when he was certain she wouldn't talk anymore, he took it away.

"Shush. Let me do the story-telling first." Jun winked. (YN) took note of his excessive winking. He seemed to always do such a thing.

"So, I told you right? Talking about anything outside of Mavetown is sort of...forbidden," Jun started. "Have you ever wondered why not a lot of people ever asked you about your hometown when you first transferred to the academy?" He asked, to which (YN) shook her head.

It was true. He was actually making a point. Now that (YN) realized it, no one had ever questioned her about it. When she first transferred, she had been expecting to be bombarded with inquiries. Yet...she was avoided like the plague.

"But...why would that be? I don't see anything wrong with--"

"Ah, shush." Jun once again placed his finger atop (YN)'s lips. He tried to force himself not to smile. Truthfully, he was enjoying this. If (YN) would talk more, all the more excuses he had to touch her. Trying to keep her quiet was all just an act, an excuse. 

"You don't know, because you're an outsider. A lot of Mavetown's residents already know it is forbidden to speak about what does not belong here. You know radio signals don't even work here, right? He completely blocked all access to what is outside. I doubt the outside even knows this place exists. The town's mayor set all these rules, and that's why Mavetown operates in an unusual way, like you said. Everyone here adheres to the rules, because they are scared."

"Scared of what?" (YN) couldn't help but ask. Jun didn't try to silence her this time, he didn't want to overdo it.

"Scared of being punished. Scared of the mayor. His words are law, he's the king here. Long ago, there was someone who tried to go against him. Tried to tell everyone of the world outside. Then no one heard of him ever again, no one really knows what happened. We just know the mayor sets all these rules because it must be of some benefit to him."

(YN) felt spooked. It was visible to Jun with the way she shuddered, and how her expression slightly contorted to that of fear. He found it quite cute, (YN) was like a shivering little puppy and he wanted to hug her.

"Do you..." (YN) trailed off, unsure if it was okay to speak. Jun motioned for her to continue, "do you know the reason behind these rules?"

Jun nodded, and then flashed her a guilty look, "I can't tell you though."

"What? That's unfair! I thought I was going to learn very important things here! Then you won't tell--"

"Oh, hush dear," Jun chuckled, a little bit loudly this time. He placed both of his hands on the side of her cheeks, squeezing her face to silence her. "Of course not everyone knows the reason why. Let's just say I'm special, and I have my ways!" he exclaimed, all too cheerful before letting go of (YN)'s face.

"But...my uncle," (YN) said, suddenly remembering. "How come he was able to contact us outside and...let me know to come here?"

Jun shot her a pitying look, although (YN) didn't notice it as it was gone like the flash.

"Hm~ I don't know. Maybe your uncle was just really smart?" Jun's tone was playful as he raised his hands over his head, stretching. Quickly diverting the topic, he sat up straight, his eyes glittering. "That was it, now tell me about your place!"

"What?! But I barely knew anything from you!" (YN) protested, frowning.

"That was already a lot, (YN)," Jun's tone dropped to a more serious note. "I think you're a smart girl, so just listen to my warning: be careful of what you do, if you want to live."

His voice was so grave. So...dangerous that (YN) had actually edged away a little bit. Jun had noticed this, and he quickly tried to lift the atmosphere up. "Oh, but don't worry! If you just try to be a good law-abiding citizen, you'll live a good and free life! Really, this sounds so serious but nothing wrong will happen if you don't do anything wrong either."

Jun's words seemed to have reassured (YN) as she visibly relaxed under his warm gaze.

Ah, this was all too fun for Jun. He honestly just wanted a little bit of time to hangout with (YN). It wasn't a lie that he was curious about the outside world, and warning her of the dangers of Mavetown although true, was a really good bait to catch her attention as well. His main purpose for all of this was just that: to have an excuse to see her.

Jun wasn't gonna lie, the first time he met (YN), that time when he was running away from a group of girls? He never felt so...entranced by the scent of someone's blood before. He could smell her as they stuck close to one another behind the bushes. His vampire instincts had almost got to the better of him, he was just lucky he was able to control it well.

The second time they met, Jun guessed he should have Ace to thank. Swooping in at just the right time to save (YN) earned him brownie points, he was sure.

Although mainly attracted by her scent, Jun truly and genuinely wanted to be closer to (YN).

And he sure as hell will do anything if it meant having all her attention to him.