Chapter Four: Orders

"My, how you've grown Christina. Any men I need to throttle?" Thomas teased me once Edward joined him on the chaise, but my frown did not ease.

"How could there be any men in my life when my two brothers, my only family, abandoned me three years ago without any word thereafter?" Silence ensued. "Don't act like you couldn't write either, I saw you packing the paper and ink."

More silence. The two imbeciles looked at one another, having a silent conversation. Had I not known any better, I would have thought them twins who could read one another's minds.

"It was for your safety. This town is, for lack of a better term, highly patriotic. If they saw us sending you letters from a British camp... Lord only knows what they would have done." Thomas cringed at Edward's implications, but all of us knew it to be true.

I studied the two, a skill I had picked up in the last few years. My eyes scanned for body language and went over their tones of voice. My final conclusion was that they weren't lying, but they most certainly didn't share the whole truth.

I finally gave up and sank into a chair. They hadn't been honest with me in years so I had no reason to expect honesty now.

Much like before, silence followed. We had grown apart over the years. We were completely different people now. We had to study one another like we were strangers.

I sighed as I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and my head on my hands. "What have we done to ourselves?" I finally asked, but my eyes didn't move from the carpeted floor.

"I don't know."

~~

Darkness had finally fallen. I sighed as I sat up from my bed, still dressed in my day clothes.

I had done whatever it took to avoid everyone as I slowly walked down the stairs, avoiding anything that made noises. The light from my candle kept a gentle glow around me, bright enough to light my way without causing suspicion.

I finally made my way to the kitchen, replacing my candle holder with the glass casing of a lantern and made my way out the back entrance. A quarter moon lit the sky as I snuck into the tree line twenty meters away, hoping and praying to God that no one noticed my absence.

It wasn't until I entered the foliage that the dark figured appeared, his hat and a scarf covering all but his eyes. "Anything new?"

His voice hadn't changed in the slightest. For three years I have met the officer here, handing off documents that I seemed to miraculously come across. "Have you seen my front lawn?"

He chuckled, finding my obvious discomfort humorous. "And here I thought you neutral." He jabbed back, his hand outstretched as he awaited the papers. I let out a groan as I carefully maneuvered my skirts, grabbed the hem on the back of my dress, and tore the thin stitching, revealing a few documents I had on hand.

I took them out and handed them over before grabbing a needle and thread I brought along and fixing the ruined skirt. "Aye, a smart one you are."

I said nothing, knowing he had more to say. "But imagine how much smarter you would seem if you received some more... Valuable information." I raised an eyebrow at the man before me. Never had he mentioned a caste system for information.

"What are you getting at?" My voice dropped to a lower octave, expecting him to grant me a mission I may not be able to complete.

"Based on the sheer number of men in your front yard, I can deduce that a few high ranking officers are in your home. Now, before I say the next part, remember what you signed up to do." I knew where this was going. I had hoped it wouldn't come to this. 

"I order you to try and seduce one of the officers, and get as much information out of him as possible." I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut, being disappointed in myself for the first time. He finally patted my back before gently shoving me forward. "Now get back before they notice the Lady's absence."

I scoffed and walked forward, not bothering to spare him any pleasantries. He should know by now that the only time I'll ever be polite to him is when the war is over.

I did, however, take heed to his advice. I lifted my skirts and made a mad rush back to my home. I assumed that if I hadn't been caught yet, then I wouldn't be caught at all. It wasn't likely that anyone was awake anyway, much less awake enough to see if the plantation's mistress was asleep in bed.

I finally entered the kitchen and made quick work to set the lantern back in its place, taking my candle back out once more. I let out a sigh as I made my way up the stairs, not minding as much if I made noise.

I stopped once more when I heard panting and thrashing in the room across from mine. Usually, I would assume some... Unladylike thoughts, but this was different.

Whoever was in there was having a nightmare, a mighty terrible one at that. My three years of being cold-hearted bid me enter my room and move on like it never happened, but my young and caring heart bid me knock.

I was torn over what to do. I knew a British soldier was waiting on the other side, but a person is a person no matter who they support.

With a sigh, I took the few steps to cross the hall and knocked, expecting to receive no answer. I waited, hoping to walk away in a few moments, and when I began to turn the door cracked open some.

"May I assist you?" The Lieutenant Colonel peeked through the crack, his forehead covered with a layer of sweat and his eyes still wide from whatever he saw visions of.

"I-I heard you, thrashing around. I was wondering if you were feeling well?" No response. His striking blue eyes met mine before turning to the floor below him.

"I am fine. Whilst I find your worry endearing, you need not worry over me."

He sounded so troubled as he spoke, and I could tell immediately what he dreamed about. "You are right, I need not worry over you, but I fear that someone needs another person to worry over them at some point, and I believe that you have no one else here right now."

His eyebrows knit together as he studied the cracks in the floor further. I felt as though I had taken down one of his walls, but I had plenty more to go if I was to fulfill my orders. "I shan't ask what you had such horrid visions about, but I believe that I may already know what some of the horrors of war can do to a person. I'll be across the hall if it ever gets too much bare alone. Good night."

In mere steps, I was in my room with my door closed behind me. I let out the breath I was holding before sinking the floor.

Only the Lord can help me now.