Chapter Seventeen: Christmas Eve Ball

Madeline may have been upset and heartbroken, but she hid it well when dancing with every single available bachelor. I hardly had the time to speak with her before she'd be whisked off by another man. Even my brothers disappeared to dance with some attractive females, while I drank my wine in silence.

Of course, I had a dance or two, but every time I tried to hold a conversation I would be brushed off like an idiot. Then there was the fact I had the event from almost eleven days ago playing in my head on constant repeat.

I almost let him kiss me. Had I not released a fistful of snow on his head, he would have kissed me, and I fear I would not have pushed him away.

What was wrong with me? Why was I so embarrassed by an event that didn't even happen? 

"Well, if it isn't the belle of the ball!" I brushed Thomas off as he joined me once more, the alcohol on his breath too strong for my liking.

"I'm hardly the belle here, that would be Madeline," I watched her dance with another gentleman, as smile lighting up her features. Thomas remained silent as well as if he was actually thinking through it.

"You're just mad that he hasn't asked you to dance yet," I raised an eyebrow, turning my full attention to my intoxicated sibling. "You know, the Lieutenant Colonel? You wrote to him, right? It's only natural that you'd want to dance with your beau... Oh, look! There he is!" Thomas waved his superior over, causing me more grief than I had before.

Gabriel looked at us, ending his conversation with the man I recognized from my first day at the plantation. I wanted nothing more than to throttle Thomas, but he had disappeared before I could say anything.

"I could have sworn Captain Evans was here with you," I scowled slightly, taking another large sip of my drink.

"Oh, he was. Trust me, he's had a drink too many and isn't thinking logically, so please feel free to return to your prior conversation-"

"She's mad that you've been ignoring her!" Thomas popped up behind me, new alcohol filled glass in his hand. He took a large gulp, drowning most of the liquid. "She's only danced with blokes so far, like Private Nottingham, who thinks all women are stupid and are only necessary for reproduction-"

"Captain Evans, I think you need to retire for the evening," The Lieutenant Colonel spoke with so much command that even I stepped back a bit. He turned his eyes to me as if silently apologizing for the way he had to speak. "And perhaps you need to think more clearly about what you've said,  Happy Christmas."

Thomas seemed to sober up a bit, bowing his head to his superior and kissing my hand before leaving the party for the evening. Edward was somewhere else, probably having an intelligent conversation with a superior. All of us siblings seemed to be in completely opposite corners right now.

"Are you truly upset by my lack of attention?" Heat rose to my cheeks before I could even think of a response.

"Of course not, I was simply annoyed by the men who have been giving me attention," I shivered as I remembered the fools who didn't know me, and thought me as nothing more than a camp whore. "As I said, you can return to your prior conversation."

Taking a sip from his own drink, the Lieutenant Colonel shook his head. His gaze traveled along the people dancing but didn't seem to focus on any one of them. "I find your company far better than theirs, as I'm sure you may remember me saying on a past occasion."

Indeed he had.

I placed my drink on the nearby table, having no use for the empty glass. "Well? Are you going to ask me to dance Lieutenant Colonel?"