Chapter Thirty-Seven: End of the War

The ring was heavier on my finger than I originally anticipated.

I sat atop a new horse, wearing a dress loaned to me by one of the wives of an officer. She had apparently been dying to put Madeline in her place for months and was more than pleased when I took it upon myself to say something.

Thomas was idly sitting in a cart that was hooked up to my horse, barely listening to Edward drone on and on about keeping me safe and laying low for a while. Thomas would be on crutches for months, so I had a feeling that everything Edward said was really meant for my ears instead.

Apparently, this was their first time being separated during the war.

I fiddled with my ring as I waited for them to finish talking. If I had not already known Gabriel was the second son of an earl, then I most certainly have been able to deduce something based on the sheer amount of gems adorning the metal band.

"You know I don't like the thought of you going back to that town," Gabriel showed up in my line of vision, his arms crossed over his chest with a small smile on his lips.

"I know." I shrugged my shoulders, careful to not let him know that I felt the same.

He sighed, obviously knowing he wasn't going to win against my strong-headedness. "I may not be able to write very often."

I nodded once more. "I know."

"If something happens-"

"Nothing will happen," I held out a hand, watching as he took steady steps towards me to take it. "And even if it did, I would find a way out of it. This is me we're talking about."

I watched as another smile lit his features, giving him just enough confidence in me to let me go.

"You will stay where you are when the war is over, right? So I can find-"

"I won't go anywhere, Gabriel. I'll wait." I watched as Edward backed away from the cart, giving me a distinct look that told me it was time to go. Gabriel thought the same, so he quickly kissed my hand and backed away.

"I'll see you again, sometime soon."

~~

The town had not been pleased when we first arrived, but Captain Wilson was surprisingly helpful for once. He showed up to the church, where a gathering of sorts had been arranged, and vouched for both me and Thomas.

Apparently, he had also arrived at the British camp to get news from Edward and Thomas, not just to mess with my personal life. Throughout the years I had worked with Captain Wilson, he never once mentioned the fact that my brothers worked under him as well.

Amanda and John had opened their home to us, seeing as ours had been burned without an ounce of mercy. They had been kind, and John was polite to never mention the tension between Thomas and Amanda. I don't know if he knew about their past, and if he did he showed no signs of holding a grudge against my dear brother.

Using the funds Thomas and Edward had earned as British officers and Patriot spies, we began to rebuild our plantation.

Spring turned into summer.

Summer turned into autumn.

Letters were sent and received. Promises were made. Small trinkets were sent to and fro.

In October, word finally spread.

The war was over. The American and French forces surrounded the British at Yorktown. The world turned upside down.

When I heard the news a lump formed in my throat.

Gabriel could have been killed, and it would be my fault. For days I waited for his letter. I waited for him to show his face. I waited for word from one of his comrades, telling me he died honorably in battle. Nothing came for a week.

My dearest, Christina,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I must return to England and my family. I hate to postpone our union any further, but I have not been given the option to return to South Carolina. In fact, everyone is being forced onto ships after the terms of surrender are made.

I get the feeling that it was you who sent word to General Washington. I do not feel any anger or negative feelings, and I find that you have fooled us all, and rather cleverly too. I even find pride in knowing that I am to marry a woman who has deceived the entire British army.

I can make no promises for the time it will take before my return. I will have to just imagine your beautiful face and calming persona until I can finally hold you in my arms once more.

Never forget my love for you.

~ Gabriel Wright

I lowered the letter back to the table with a heavy heart. I have waited on Gabriel for five months, and now I'll have to wait through many more.

I studied my ring as it caught the light of the candle, reminding me of who he was back in England. He could easily be returning to be married. What if he was and he didn't know it? Would he come back here? Would he marry the other girl for the sake of duty? Would he tell me?

So many things can go wrong in this short period of time.

"Christina?" Amanda joined me a second later, sitting in the chair opposite me.

"Amanda, you shouldn't be up," I scolded, "you need to sleep for you and the baby."

She gave me a small smile before shaking her head. "I tried, I really did, but the constant illness has driven me out here. Besides, you need me right now. What was in the letter today?"

Eager happiness shone in her eyes, waiting for me to tell her of my lover's return. Instead, I shook my head. "He has to return to England. It'll be months before I'll see him again."

Understanding crossed her eyes. She knew what my fears were almost immediately.

Amanda took my hands, rubbing circles around my knuckles. "I don't think he'll leave a ring like that on your finger if he planned on leaving you. Besides, from what you've shown me, he writes of nothing but love and admiration of you."

I gave her the smallest of smiles, hoping it would convince her that I wasn't so worried. Of course, Amanda knew me better than most. She knew I would remain fearful until I saw his face and felt his arms around me.

"Do you love him?"

"Of course!"

"Then trust him," she released my hands, deciding then that it was alright to return to her room. "and get some sleep while you're at it."

I nodded, but remained in my chair, staring at the parchment for hours. Dawn came, and with it brought Edward, who was hailed as a hero in our small town.