Chapter Twenty-Nine: Second Son of an Earl

Madeline remained completely silent during the next week. She was still embarrassed from her failed attempt at stealing Gabriel away. The simple thought brought a smile to my face as I lifted up my tea.

"You seem incredibly happy today Miss Evans," the general leaned over slightly, eyeing both of my hands suspiciously. "Anything you would like to share with us?"

My brows knit in confusion. I studied my hands as well, wondering what there was to see.

Nothing was out of the ordinary. Besides the small scars from where I punched the wall, there was nothing different from everyone else's hands. "I am not quite sure what you mean Sir. Is there something that I should be sharing?"

With a huff, he sat back. He grumbled something incoherent before turning his attention elsewhere.

What on earth was he going on about? Was there something on my hands that equates to happiness? Is there an English tradition I should be made aware of?

"It must have been spoiled by those fools. The poor lad was so nervous," I chose to just ignore him by this point, and instead focused on finishing my meal in peace. "Then again, his father would surely kill him for the match."

"Who's father?" My attention was grabbed once more. For some reason, the new topic grabbed my attention.

"Why, the Lieutenant Colonel's of course! His father will have his head when he finds out about- well, you." I stared blankly at the General. Nothing he said made any sense. "I mean... Don't take any offense to this, but an untitled American colonist and the second son of an Earl don't make the match parents often dream of."

I dropped my teacup onto the table, not caring if it stained the white lace table-cover. "Pardon?"

The general didn't seem to care about the tea and instead focused on my reaction. "He didn't tell you?"

I slowly shook my head, watching as Madeline's face returned to normal. "See? He didn't even tell you something as simple as his background. What else could he be hiding from you? Or rather - who else?" She stood up and bent over me to grab the teacup from its upset position on the table. "Not to mention the difference in social standings. You'll never be one of us."

I moved my arm, elbowing her ribs as I stood. She coughed from the impact, holding her side as she glared. "Oh, did I do that? My apologies."

"Miss Evans, please sit down. I think you need to think thoroughly before you confront him-"

"With all due respect Sir, I am not upset, simply startled by the revelation." I lowered myself back into my chair, trying to make sense of everything.

"Well, as least he is the second son and not the eldest. He would have to forfeit everything in order to stay with you. And it isn't like he has a lack of brothers. Five strapping young men and four lovely young ladies! Oh, you'll have to keep up with everyone's expectations when it comes to children."

He has eight siblings. None of which I knew existed until today. He's second in line to become an earl. Which I didn't know until today.

"May I be excused?" The general nodded, thinking me embarrassed rather than angry.

I made my way down the hall, out the door, and towards the one place, I promised never to go.

Men shouted at one another as the sun began to bear down on them. Others ran about, doing whatever they needed to do before the day really began. Red coats were everywhere, milling about and talking to one another animatedly.

Some talked like the refined high-class men they were, and others like street scum who had a debt to pay off.

There, standing in the center of it all was Thomas, Edward, and the second son of an Earl.