Chapter Thirty-Four: Accusations

~Third Person Perspective~

Within an hour and a half, Christina caught up with the red coats. She slowed her horse, steering him into the forest surrounding the road in order to not be seen by everyone. 

She passed each line of men slowly, hoping to make out the faces of the people she needed to see. It wasn't until she got closer to the front that all four of the men appeared.

Corporal Nottingham was riding closest to the end, a scowl lighting up his features. Several men over sat Thomas and Edward, who both remained stoic. The two were regarding the world around them with little care and instead focused on getting through the long journey ahead of them. Five people down from them was the Lieutenant Colonel, who glared at every leaf, blade of grass, and creature that passed his line of vision.

He did keep a quarter of his attention of Corporal Nottingham, however. The general had debriefed him on the man's erratic behavior and wild accusations lately, which did not sit well with him. If Nottingham took just one step in Christina's direction, there will be hell to pay.

The first to notice the girl was Nottingham. At first, he thought it was just his imagination, then she met his gaze evenly, challenging him. His jaw clenched as he steered his horse towards the forest, ready to confront the little spy.

Gabriel moved his gaze to the man leaving the line, annoyed that he'd have to deal with it. He turned his own horse and began to lead him to the wooded area. Before he could get to the Evans, they both kicked their own horses into action, taking off in blurred lines.

Finally, Gabriel lifted his eyes, barely able to make out a dress in the distance of the trees. Most men would think of a logical reason behind it, but he knew. He just knew that it was Christina.

And Nottingham already had a head start in getting to her.

His horse was forced into motion the next second, galloping past people and climbing through the treeline.

~Christina's Perspective~

I could feel my heart stop the minute I was alone with the Corporal. The man glared at me as I slid off my horse and began to tie my reigns to a tree branch. The silence won't last much longer, I was certain of that.

"I assume the general's brat couldn't keep her mouth shut?" I slowly nodded, paying more attention to the knot I was creating rather than him. "Then you're either here to prove your innocence or-"

"Christina!" Thomas made a dramatic entrance, nearly jumping off of his horse to stand in front of me. I could still see the Corporal over his shoulder, who seemed less than impressed by the sudden interruption. 

Edward remained seated on his horse, a hand hovering over the hilt of his saber. His eyes calculated the movement of everyone around him as if he could assess all dangers and possible outcomes in those few seconds.

"I see you brought your own militia? Ironic." The Corporal shifted his gaze between the three of us. The look in his eyes was completely unreadable, which was startling and annoying all at once. "It doesn't change anything, however. You being here should be proof enough. You're done for, spy."

Nottingham spat at the ground, a ferocious look in his eyes. An unthinkable wave of rage crossed his features with such a cool calmness that even I was scared.