Chapter Fourteen: The Shawl

The fabric was simple, yet warm. How had the creator made such a warm shawl?!

A box lay half-opened on the floor, while I held the shawl I had been gifted on my birthday. I had been informed of the item an hour or two ago, but only now got the chance to see it. There was nothing to the article, no special pattern or design, yet it was perfect. It would be put to use for years to come.

"Alright now Miss, we better start changing your dress or you'll be late," the woman played with the sleeves of the gown warily. Apparently, it became a tradition for the general's daughters to receive a court gown every year on their birthdays, so they begged (forced) their father to do the same for me. Unknowingly, they made me feel even more in debt than before.

Even as I was redressed and styled to resemble the role of a young woman celebrating her birthday, I couldn't help but think back on the shawl. Who knew of my need for a new one? I don't remember anyone seeing me in it. My brothers perhaps? 

It must have been those two fools.

"Miss? I asked if you're pleased with my work? Do you need anything else?" I shook my head, too lost in thought to smile.

"No, you're good to leave now, thank you," I dismissed her with such ease that it scared me. Back home, I never would have done such a thing. The other girls had been raised with me. They were as close to sisters as I ever expected to have.

I needed to clear my thoughts before dinner.

Stepping out into the hall, I was surprised to see both of my brothers standing in wait for me. Each held a bouquet of flowers with goofy grins on their faces. "Well, well, well, if it isn't our little sister!"

"We thought we'd surprise you on your birthday," Edward explained their little plan to me. They hadn't left at all and hoped it would make me happier to spend my evening with them after supper.

Thomas enveloped me in his arms first, followed by Edward. I held both sets of flowers in my arms, taking in their fragrance. "I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday; father pacing the hall, mother with the midwife and doctor in their room, all while we placed bets on whether you were a boy or girl."

"And who won again?" Thomas grumbled under his breath, obviously holding a grudge against his younger brother. Apparently, the bet involved their desserts for a whole year. I gave them both a charming smile, completely forgetting my prior turmoil.

"Thank you for the flowers," I quickly brought them into my room, placing them on the dresser before turning back around and beginning to walk back out.

"Who was this from?" Edward lifted the box, scanning the empty space quizzically. "An article of clothing too, not always cheap."

"I don't know, I thought the two of you left it for me?" Both men shook their heads, foreheads creased in concern. "Then I do not know. Perhaps the General?"

Thomas seemed to doubt that idea, seeing as how I already received the gown I had donned for the evening. Edward remained silent, thinking over the options. I took the time to inspect both of them, finding it odd to see them in their uniforms. I never thought that red befitted them. Both were like me and avoided vibrant colors as often as possible.

"An issue for another time, I suppose," Gesturing to the door, I hinted for the both of them to start leaving. When they finally dropped the topic and began to walk away, I followed. "We'll be late at this rate."

And so the three of us took off down the hall, racing towards the dining room.

When we arrived at the door, with a minute to spare, I fixed their jackets, while they brushed some of my loose hairs behind my ears. Each of us was huffing and puffing, trying to get more air into our greedy lungs.