Epilogue

Gabriel had learned many things throughout his life.

When he attended university, one of his friends had fallen head over heels for one of their professor's young daughter. She was beautiful and intelligent enough to hold a conversation without stuttering or forgetting her point.

Of course, his friend only wanted her because she was beautiful, and she wanted him because he was rich.

It was only days after their marriage, that Gabriel received a letter, describing how married life wasn't worth it. After his friend laid with his wife, he lost all interest in her. He no longer found her beautiful. She was no longer an unsolved mystery.

For a short time after his marriage, Gabriel feared the same would happen to him.

But a year passed, and he still found his wife to be as intriguing as they come.

Even now, as he lay awake for the third night in a row, holding her close as he stared at the ceiling, he couldn't believe how lucky he was.

"You need to sleep, Gabriel," her sleepy voice broke him from all thoughts. "It isn't good for you to stay awake for so long."

He sighed but made no other moves. Slowly, he turned to face the angel he called a wife, pushing the hair off her face and trying to keep eye contact with her half-lidded eyes.

"You know I can't."

Not a minute later, cries came from elsewhere in the house, meaning Amanda had woken up. Both of them cringed, tears gathering in Christina's eyes as well. The uneven pace of Thomas' footsteps was heard, making his way down the hall and towards her room.

John, her husband, had died two days prior in a hunting accident. He had separated from the rest of the group, as was shot from a stray bullet meant for a deer.

Again, happiness never lasted.

The cries began to quiet down until only muffled sobs were heard.

"We all need some sleep." Christina laid her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. It reminded her of his humanity, of all the terrible things he faced while still being just as human as she was.

His hand tangled in her hair, but he made no other move to get comfortable enough to sleep.

He had survived the war physically, but his mental state was far from what it had been before. He could see so many faces. All the men he had faced, killed, injured, and even some who had injured him. He could tell you the story behind every last scar - in vivid detail.

"I know it's hard but," Christina gently lifted her head, propping her chin against his chest, "we'll have someone else to worry about soon."

It took Gabriel several moments to understand.

Christina let a smile slip, momentarily forgetting the pain and suffering happening a few rooms over. She was more than excited to have her first child, but the minute news had spread about John, she had to postpone sharing the information.

"Now I won't be able to sleep for an entirely different reason," he grinned, already imagining the trials of fatherhood - all the things he would teach his son or daughter. So many life lessons he wanted to save the hassle of going through for them, and all the little tricks he had learned. "You have done the opposite of what you wanted."

"I know," Christina curled into his side, playing with his loose shirt between her fingers, "it's the only reason I've been up late as well."

The two shared a moment of silence, letting the short-lived peace surround them.