Chapter Twenty: New Years

I stood with Madeline and Sabrina, wrapped up in my shawl with my lips redder than they had ever been before. Many other women stood around with us, conversing and complaining about the cold weather.

Another gust of wind lifted our skirts, making all of us shiver. The biting feeling of snowflakes on my nose and cheeks made me uncomfortable, as well as the soaked bottom of my skirts. Sabrina stood shivering, caged in her sister's arms. I myself shifted to be closer to them, trying to warm all of us up.

"Where are they? They were supposed to be here an hour ago!" I had no response to Madeline's question. Instead, I pushed myself closer and closer, until my crossed arms rested against Sabrina and I was leaning over her slightly.

Several more minutes past before we finally caught sight of the hunting group. It was mostly composed of officers, though a good few had to stay behind to watch the camp. Some of them brought their sons, who ran ahead of the men and straight into the arms of their mothers and sisters.

"Look! Look! I got a squirrel!" Timothy held up the corpse, a large smile on his face. Madeline looked as if she might faint at the sight but quickly recovered when the officers began to catch up with the rest of the boys.

"Yes, I'm sure it is a fine prize indeed," Leaning down, I left a kiss on his cheeks. He beamed before running off, showing the boys how a girl other than his sisters kissed him. Many gave some form of awed response, while others doubted the authenticity of his statement.

"A young boy before a brother! What a betrayal!" Thomas wrapped an arm around my shivering shoulders, a bright grin on his face. I gave him a quick peck on the cheek, just to please him for the time being.

Edward came up a second later, catching me as I flew towards him. "Now, Chris, we both know I hate any form of physical-"

I left a big kiss on his cheek as well, grinning at my work. Both of them sported the imprint of my kiss with a mixture of pride and embarrassment. Edward rushed inside before someone else could catch up, wanting nothing more than to erase the mark.

"Don't you want to come to?" I shook my head at Thomas' offer. While I didn't explain the reason why I could see that he already knew. With a grin, he hollered after Edward before taking off in a sprint to catch up. I barely saw him slip and fall when I turned around, glancing through the crowd to find the face I was looking for.

A few seconds later, I found Gabriel. He had a stern look on his face as if he was scolding someone. I drew closer, trying to decipher if he was talking to a fellow soldier.

No, quite the opposite. Madeline stood before him, a pout on her lips. From the look on her face, I could only deduce that she was trying to seduce him... and failing. I don't know why I felt so angry, but I simply stayed and watched the two interact.

Bosom out... lips pouted... eyes fluttering... hips swaying... head tilted...

Arms crossed... scowling... glaring... stiff... forehead creased... balled fists...

I suddenly felt the need to get the poor Lieutenant Colonel away from the girl.

Before I could take two steps, Madeline lunged forward, planting a kiss on his cheek. I froze but sped up when I realized how stupid she was. He didn't want her to do that. Knowing Gabriel, he was waiting for me. He was mad. Very, very mad.

"I told you-"

"Oh, darn! You did find him first Madeline," I gave the girl a grin, much to her surprise. "Guess I owe you a game of cards. Too bad, I was hoping to find him first."

Reaching up, I took his face in my hands and placed a firm kiss on his other cheek. The makeup had run thin after the last three kisses, so I had to apply more pressure to get a firm imprint on his face. I released my lips from his face, noticing Madeline's presence had left.

A dazed look was still in the Lieutenant Colonel's eyes, but he made no move to straighten himself out. "If we weren't surrounded by people right now, I'd kiss you."

Out of impulse, I removed my hands and stepped away. "Yes, well, it would be inappropriate no matter where we were."

Silence fell between us. I couldn't look into his blue orbs, not when I knew he noticed my flustered state. Suddenly, a finger on my chin guided my face to his direction. His gaze remained firmly on my lips, worrying me. He wasn't going to-not in front of all these people?

"Have you already kissed others?" That's what he was worried about? Other people sporting the outline of my mouth?

"Yes, my brothers of course, and Timothy came to receive his prize for the squirrel he caught," I nonchalantly removed myself from his hold, returning to a proper distance between the two of us. There was another moment of tense silence before he stepped forward, offering me his arm.

I took it as casually as I could, enjoying the heat offered on my way back to the plantation. "I can't believe a child got their kiss before I could. And I'm the one courting you!"

"Well, Madeline got to you first as well, so-"

"I did not want her to," I paused in my step, but quickly covered it up to continue our slow pace. "I told her, as I always have, that I had no such feelings for her. Then she started acting strange, batting her lashes and pouting like a child. I tried to tell her to ask you first, but apparently you two made a bet."

It was the best idea I could come up with at the time. He believed it, and Madeline seemed more upset by the fact I showed up than the lie I told. If that was the worst thing to happen today, then I'll be more than delighted. Telling a little white lie to help out a friend was the least of my worries.

"Yes, it was meant to be a fun game, but I see that we upset you," I offered him a smile, trying to change the subject a little. "I apologize for any inconvenience. "

"I was only worried about you, darling," we entered the manor, joining most of the couples and families. I wrapped my shawl around myself a little tighter while grabbing a cup of tea off of a tray. "I was afraid you would see and become upset by the sight."

Possibly. If I hadn't seen their body language, and if I had stronger, more realistic feelings for the man than perhaps I would have been upset. In a way, I was ticked by Madeline's behavior. It was childish and irresponsible for her to kiss men who were courting other women. If it had been different people, it could have ended terribly. She could have seriously ruined her reputation.

"I am not the kind of person to draw hasty conclusions," I sipped the warm liquid, finding the scalding heat to be a fine replacement from the freezing breeze. "I prefer to think of my actions out before acting upon them."

He studied me, taking a sip from his own cup. We both remained in silence for a few minutes, which was oddly... relaxing. I was caught between surprised and worried by yet another revelation when it comes to how I feel around this man.

I need to do my job. I need to start getting information out of him. I need to find ways to talk about his military business. I need to get as much out of him as I can.

I need to, but I find that I do not particularly want to.