Chapter Seven: Madeline

The girl wrapped him in a hug, her grin unchanging. "Madeline," He gave her a smile back before turning her towards me. "This is Miss Evans, her home was attacked by the patriotic ruffians, which is why we were so delayed in our return."

Was that all I was? A delay in their return? And we were already back to 'Miss Evans' after a few minutes of being past such things.

"Her home was burned, as well as all of her belongings. I was hoping that you would be of some assistance," She looked me up and down, inspecting my figure and stance. I felt as though she was undressing me and taking my body apart to view every vein and muscle.

"I don't know, she looks to be a little bigger than me," I felt offended. I was by no means big, and for someone who was no older than myself, she had quite the tongue. "But I'll see what I can do."

She grabbed my arm, forcing it to wrap around her own before guiding me into the large home. She turned to wave off the Lieutenant Colonel, who gave a small bow in return.

"He's a very attractive man," She spoke the minute we stepped inside, completely alone beside the workers who were diligently scrubbing the floors. "I've been trying to gain his attention ever since I came to the Americas, but he's always so... Serious. How does he act around you?"

Kind. Gentle. Teasing. Constantly worried about my wellbeing. Protective. Maybe even caring. "Just as you described, serious."

Why was I so shy? Why couldn't I bring myself to tell the truth? I wasn't lying, he did act very seriously until the night I gave him comfort.

Would I be hanging from a tree if I hadn't offered kind words towards him?

I shook the thought out of my head. I didn't want to think about the consequences of ignoring a person in need. Especially if it meant death.

"I've been able to bring him out of his shell a little, but I have yet to receive anything more than a smile. What about you? Have you made the ever stoic Lieutenant Colonel laugh?"

"Enjoying the view, Miss Evans?" I scoffed, turning my head to hide my blush at being caught. I said nothing, but by his chuckle, I didn't need to say anything. "If you wish to study me, then be my guest. I am certain that you've caught me doing similar observations as well."

"No, not in the slightest," Why was I so persistent on lying? Shouldn't I be claiming him somehow? Warning her of my own interest? She could jeopardize my mission! "Why do you ask?"

There was silence between us as we walked, strolling casually down the unfamiliar hallways of the estate. "My, you're the first one to question my motives for asking questions. Most girls just answer honestly, some lie, but not often," She narrowed her eyes on me, and for a moment I feared she would call me out on everything I've said. "I like you."

That had been completely unexpected. "Pardon?"

"I like you. We'll get along just fine. In fact, let's go talk to Father about getting you some dresses! I'll ask him to adopt you as my un-official sister, too!" I could hardly contain my nerves when she flipped us around, taking us the opposite direction at a much faster pace.

So it was a test. She was testing my personality. I had to admit, this Madeline character was quite something. She was clever, and cheery, a deadly combination.

I became even more shocked as she barged into a room, interrupting whatever meeting some men were in. They had been arguing a moment prior, but all became quiet when the girl walked in with me.

There was a man behind a desk, slightly overweight with red cheeks and a white wig. Three other men were scattered about the room. One had a scar going down his left cheek, glaring at Madeline and myself. The other two seemed to be inconsequential to the equation.

"Madeline," the larger man spoke, exasperated, "what have I told you about entering rooms, especially my office, without permission?"

The girl pouted her lips, showing off the red tint that had been painted on. "But look who I found!"

I was suddenly shoved into the middle of the room, imbalanced, and clumsy. All eyes were on me, and a moment of complete silence passed.

I finally gained my senses back and curtsied to the General, Madeline's father, as well as nodding my head to the other gentlemen in the room. "Good afternoon, I'm Christina Evans of the colony of South Carolina."

While the other men seemed more occupied in eyeing my figure and trying to understand my presence, the General paid more attention to my introduction. "Evans? Any relation to the two Captains under Lieutenant Colonel Wright?"

"Yes sir, my brothers," I hesitated, hoping Madeline would reenter the picture with her magnificence. "My home was attacked and burned by the patriots, and so I was brought here by the Lieutenant Colonel and his men. I was hoping to-"

"Can we keep her father?" Madeline finally reappeared from behind me, taking my upper right arm in both of her hands and stepping closer to her father's desk. "She could be my new sister! Timothy and Sabrina won't mind! She could be our companion and keep us all entertained-"

"Why do I feel like an animal you found in the woods?" My comment was barely heard over Madeline's begging. The General did hear me, however, and found it more amusing than I first suspected. It was frightening to see one of the men I despise finding me amusing.

"I cannot adopt a grown woman Maddie, but she may stay here as your companion. Besides, she has a family of her own," Madeline was about to burst with excitement, her grin almost split her face open. "If that is all-"

"She also needs new clothes!" I felt my face flush at her sudden exclamation. "All of her belongings were burned, so I was hoping we could get her new dresses, shoes, hair ornaments-"

"Yes, yes, do as you please, bleed me dry for all I care. Now, will you go so I can continue my meeting?" Madeline finally snapped back into the role of a young woman, nodding her head as she turned to exit the room with me in tow.

"I suppose you'll have a squeeze into some of my clothes for now," she studied my heated expression before chuckling. "You have a larger bosom than me, and your waist maybe a tad larger than mine because of that. I mean you no insult when I say you are larger. I am simply stating the truth as it is."

I finally scolded myself for assuming she was insulting me. I understood her personality much more now; blunt and straightforward.

We should get along just fine. So long as she doesn't interfere with my work.