Chapter Thirty-Eight: England

~Third Perspective~

Gabriel spent two months on a ship, traveling back to his family home in Liverpool.

His older brother had become ill just weeks before the war's end, and it was his duty to return and take over the responsibilities - if he so desires. Which he doesn't.

Finally, after weeks of standing on the deck of a ship, he stood in his father's office, watching his younger sisters whisper to one another behind their fans. All three were of marrying age, yet none had any offers as of late. The oldest among them married several months ago, to a Count further north.

"Ah, glad to see you home Gabriel. How was your adventure in America?" His father barely lifted his gaze, apparently too invested in the book he was reading to care about seeing his son for the first time in years.

"Far from pleasant, but... worthwhile." The simple thought of seeing Christina once more was enough to fuel him to make everything here quick and painless. He just needed to push himself to finish whatever it was he needed to do and move on.

"Good, good. Alexander is recovering well and should be up soon. Would you like to see him? He's been so eager to be reunited with his little brother," His brother was well? Here he was, rushing back home only to learn that he had recovered!

"I thought it was crucial for me to come home due to my brother's ill health?" Inside, Gabriel was seething. All of this was a waste of time. Yet again, a problem with a simple solution was the reason he couldn't be with Christina.

"Is that what your mother said? No wonder you're so upset. Well, sit down. It can't be helped-"

"I'm going back on the next ship," the chatter in the room stopped at his proclamation. Never had any of them imagined the well-refined second son of an earl to want to return to the Americas.

Slowly, the Earl's face dropped. He knew that look. He knew it well.

"Girls, leave us." The three obediently stood and left. They were eavesdropping no doubt, but at least they won't hear everything if the men murmured.

"So, you've met a girl?" Gabriel seated himself where his sisters were, biding his time while he could.

"Yes, I plan to marry her. She's already agreed to the arrangement." Silence ensued. The two men sat in silence, staring at one another with even gazes.

"I am right to assume she has no title," Gabriel nodded, "and her family is of no consequence."

"They own land, and a well-off plantation. With the right support, they can make a successful-"

"And by right support, you mean yourself and our money?" Gabriel forced himself to stop speaking, trying to find a way to convince his father to let him go.

"I will marry no other," each man glared at one another, "I refuse to marry another."

The elder Wright sat back, eyeing his son warily. Out of all the boys, Gabriel was the favorite by far - the most clever and the most strong-willed. Alexander would inherit almost everything, but his intelligence was dim compared to the second son.

He didn't want to see Gabriel unhappy. Gabriel was too smart to settle for someone who couldn't make him happy. There was a reason he never courted anyone - anyone except for Christina, that is.