CHAPTER ELEVEN ~ Letter

Chapter 11 ~ Letter

~Kaleb Embers~

Someone whistled from behind me...

Or is it in front?

I'm not so sure.

But I know I heard something.

And then, I heared a distant voice calling my name...

...KALEB

“Who's there?” I asked, as I looked around my surroundings. But all I could see was thick white fog everywhere.

Still I walked barefoot, following where the sound was coming from...

The ground feels moist on my feet and it's chilly out here too, giving my skin goosebumps.

It's me.” The sweet voice answered, and the sound seems closer this time.

That's when I saw an all too familiar human figure behind the white smoke.

Abby?” I called out, as she emerged to the light.

Hey, Kal.” She greeted me, and poked my nose afterwards, like what she always does.

Her voice is so soft but it reverberates and resonates through this mysterious misty land.

She looks like an angel wearing a cream colored robelined with drapes that formed her flowy dress.

Her feet don't even touch the ground. She is floating, as if in zero gravity.

And I don't feel the wind around us, but her hair and clothes are billowing like they're being fanned.

If anything, I'm not scared.

Seeing her brings back happy memories.

How have you've been, Abby? I thought I'd never see you again. I missed you so much!” I rambled out

I've never been better, Kal. And I missed you too!” She replied, and smiled brightly at me.

Her fiery red hair still looks breathtaking. She really is the most gorgeous ginger I've ever seen.

Where are we? And why's it too bright in here?” I asked curiously

Somewhere between your dreams and the afterlife.” She replied, as I looked around. Though there's really nothing much to see, since everything is covered in fog.

Okay, that's not weird at all. I said sarcastically

I just wanted to visit you.” She said, and hugged me so I hugged her back. I missed her so much. Then, I remembered something I needed to tell her and paused.

Abby...I lo–”

“—No! Please don't say it. That's so unfair to your wife. Don't ruin the moment, Kal...” She cut me off mid sentence and just hugged me tighter.

W-what? But why?” I protested

You know that I'm not coming back anymore, so you need to move forward with your life. This is a big change. Trust me, I know. But if you just open up your heart, you'll see that there's a new life awaiting for you.” She cryptically explained

I don't understand, Abby.

Remember this, okay? Everything happens for a reason, Kaleb. There's no such thing as coincidence...” Well, that just confused me even more.

But, Abby...

“—I have to go now, Kal. Until we meet again...

I tried to chase her but her hand slipped from mine faster than I could grasp it—before she quickly disappeared through the mist.

Wait!” I yelled after her

“...aleb! Wake up, son.” A familiar voice said.

I opened my eyes and I'm back in my room.

“Pops? What are you doing here?” I rub the sleepiness off my eyes.

“Son, Enzo is Missing...”

“What?!” I exclaimed

“Your wife, he ran away with his Dad this morning. Nobody knows where they are...”

“What time is it already, Pops?”
I asked, as he checked his watch.

“It's noon.” He replied

“Fuck! I can't believe I overslept. Where could they possibly go?” I panicked

“I don't know, Son... But here, he left a note for you.” He handed me a letter from his pocket with Enzo's writing in it, so I read it hastily:

Dear Kaleb,

I'm so sorry for leaving like this.

But I just want to let you know that I'm now setting you free.

You don't have to worry about me and my dad anymore.

I will explain to him everything.

Please tell Pops that I'm sorry too.

Thank you for all your help.

I appreciate all the things you've done for us.

I can never repay your kindness.

I think this is for the best. So please don't look for us, just know that we're safe.

Take Care.

Regards,
Enzo

******************************

Shit!

“I have to find them, Pops. I would never forgive myself if anything bad happens to them. I can't lose anyone else, I won't be able to take it.”

“I'm coming with you, Son. I'll help you go find him.”

“Alright, Pops. I'll drive, let's go.” I said as we rushed to get in my car.

What have I fucking done?!

And what does Abby mean in that bloody dream??

Ugh! Somebody please help me!

________________________________

[Please don't forget to vote on this chapter. Thank you!]