Chapter Twenty-Three

Zara's POV

We visit the Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and a few other sites, before we have a late lunch at 3pm. We have pasta at a restaurant which has newly opened near our hotel. It's definitely a five-star hotel, and the food is amazing, too. Zaid likes the food, too. We are both completely full when we've finished eating.

'I probably have a food baby right now,' I say, pointing to my stomach. I can't believe I just said that. I really need to think twice before I say anything in front of Zaid. He chuckles, causing my cheeks to heat up.

"Zara, your stomach looks exactly like it did before. Flat." I laugh.

'You're just being nice. You're biased, because you're my friend. You...are my friend, right?' I ask, my cheeks reddening again.

He laughs. "Do you want me to be your friend?" No, Zaid. I want you to be much, much more.

'Erm, yeah. I guess so. Sure. So, we're friends.' Friends.

"So, do you want to shake on that, Miss Ahmed? We're new friends," Zaid says with a glint in his eyes. He brings his hand out for me to shake.

I grasp his hand and shake it. He looks into my eyes as he places a firm grip on my hand. He's strong. He shakes my hand firmly, but at the same time gently. His hand gives me that weird but good, giddy feeling again. I feel the electricity travel up through my hand and arm, and flow through my whole body. Just his handshake does this to me. Surely he felt this too?

I'm losing myself again. I cough, moving my hand back. Zaid looks as if he is deep in thought. He probably caught me staring at him like a weirdo. Yeah, he must think I'm so crazy. I am.

I don't think I've told you what Zaid is wearing today. He looks amazing, even more so than usual. He is wearing a suit, of course, but it is a royal blue colour. He's wearing a white shirt underneath the blazer, and a grey-blue tie. He looks so handsome. That's why everywhere we go, girls stare at him like crazy. And that annoys me. It annoys me a lot.

It is now 4pm. The meeting is in an hour. We are heading back to the hotel, to rest for half an hour or so, before we go to the meeting. As soon as we enter our suite, my phone starts ringing. I ignore it. It's probably Hafsa or Maryam. I called them both earlier this morning. They can wait.

I go to the bathroom and touch up my makeup. When I enter my room again, Zaid is sitting on the sofa, holding my phone.

'Zara, you should answer it. It's Aunty, you have seven missed calls from her,' he says, handing me my phone.

"It's Mum? Okay, let me just phone her." I called Mum this morning, too. It must be something urgent, though, if she's given me seven missed calls.

I call her, and she answers on the second ring.

'Hi, Mum! You were calling?' I ask, worried.

"Zara? Are you okay?" She asks, frantically. I frown. What's the matter?

'Yeah, of course I'm okay. I'm great, Mum. What's the matter? Is everything okay there?' I ask.

"Yes! Everything is perfect, Zara. We will be reaching home tonight, probably at about 9pm. There's some news, which is why I kept calling you!" She sounds excited now.

I chuckle. 'It sounds like good news, tell me! What's the news?'

"Zara, do you remember my friend Laiba? The one who moved to London? Well, she's moved back to Birmingham, near us!" I glance over at Zaid. He is watching me, with a small smile on his face.

I smile. 'Of course I remember Aunty Laiba! She's lovely! Oh, that's great, Mum! We can go to visit her then, in a few days!'

"That's not the news, Zara. The news is that she wants to come and see you for her son, Asad. How amazing is that?!" My eyes widen in shock. Marriage proposal?! Aunty Laiba? Is she being serious? I can't...get married now!