Chapter Fifty-Eight

Zara's POV

About fifteen minutes later, we reach Zaid's apartment, or rather, my new home. His family and relatives all reach earlier than us, and are ready to welcome the new couple. The entire home is beautifully decorated with colourful lighting and flowers. We park at the front of the apartment, and Zaid gets out of the car. He comes over to the passenger seat and helps me out, holding my hand.

I can now feel the weight of my lehenga and dupatta. My legs and back are starting to ache, because my dress is so heavy. However, just then, I remember the real reason as to why I'm feeling the pain. It's in my lower tummy also, and is getting stronger. My period.

The entire day, I had been feeling so nervous, happy and excited, that I had completely forgotten about my period. Mum had given me medicine, too, to help with the cramps, which is why I didn't feel them much throughout the day. Now, however, they're back, stronger than ever.

He closes the door and locks the car using his key once he's helped me out, and we walk towards our home, hand in hand. When we reach the main door, we see that it's open, and my new family is there to welcome us. They're all beaming with happiness.

I try to free my hand from Zaid's, but he won't have it. He boldly continues to hold my hand, making me blush.

Hafsa's standing at the front of the door, grinning from ear to ear. She comes forward to hug us both.

Aunty and Uncle are next. "Welcome to our home, Zara!" Aunty greets, hugging me tightly, before Uncle welcomes us. I chuckle at their excitement. She's too adorable. She kisses us both on our foreheads, before we enter our home.

We walk together into our home, Zaid's hand not leaving mine for a single second. We enter the living room, surrounded by the whole family. Zaid's aunts are all here, too.

We sit down on the intricately decorated couch, as everyone continues to welcome us and congratulate us on our wedding. Although I of course know who everyone is, as this family has been my second family for many years, the aunts introduce their children and other relatives.

We have a small photo session with Zaid's family, including all his nephews and nieces. Then, it's time for a few rituals. First, Zaid's cousin's newborn baby son is placed into my lap. He's the most adorable newborn baby and he's so chubby. He keeps staring at me with his eyes wide and I just have to kiss those cheeks. I place a gentle kiss on one of his cheeks, and he stares at me, a tiny smile on his lips. I laugh.

I give him some money, although everyone keeps refusing to take it. He's too cute, and I love him already. He's Zaid and Hafsa's cousin, Sabah's, newborn son. I haven't seen him before, because he lives in London.

There's another ritual next, and for this one, Hafsa comes over to me and Zaid and she takes off my engagement ring and drops it into a large bowl of milk and rose petals. Me and Zaid are made to sit facing each other and find the ring. This is a funny game, as it's said that whoever finds the ring first rules over the other for the rest of their lives. It's a joke, of course, but it's pretty fun. I saw this ritual after my cousin's marriage.

We both enter our hands in the bowl and right away, I feel Zaid grab my hand. I blush deeply from head to toe, not knowing if everyone can see him holding my hand in the bowl. Hafsa starts to cheer for me, as do Aunty and Uncle. One of Zaid's cousins cheers him on, while most of the other relatives are supporting me.

'Come on, beta! Don't let him win!' Aunty says excitedly, winking at her son.

"Yes, Zara! Let's show Zaid, come on! You can find the ring!" Uncle cheers me on.