Chapter Fifty-Six

Zaid's POV

There's a knock on my bedroom door. "Zaid bhai, are you ready? Can I come in now? I've been waiting out here for hours!" Hafsa calls impatiently from the other side of my bedroom door.

'You haven't been waiting for hours, I'm coming,' I answer, chuckling.

I glance into the mirror one last time, before a lazy grin makes its way onto my face. I fasten the top button of my sherwani, before applying a spritz of my signature Armani aftershave. I run a hand through my hair and head to the door, unlocking it.

My bedroom door bursts open, hitting me on my shoulder in the process. Ouch. I rub my shoulder, frowning at my sister.

She stands in the doorway in shock, staring at me like she's never seen me before. Tears have filled her eyes, threatening to spill. "Bhai," she whispers, before attacking me with a hug.

I smile, hugging her back gently. 'Are you crying?' I whisper softly, feeling her tears soak through my sherwani.

She shakes her head, not breaking the hug. "I'm so happy today! I can't believe you're getting married, finally! To Zara! Today is a perfect day, I know I'm gonna cry all day!" She laughs through her tears.

'Stop crying, Hafsa, and tell me. Do I look okay?' I ask, seriously.

She breaks the hug, wiping away her tears and making sure not to ruin her makeup. She nods, a grin appearing on her face. "You look amazing, bhai. Remember the photoshoot you did last year, when you wore all those sherwanis and kurtas, you look way better than that now. Because you're getting married today. I can't believe it!"

She takes her phone out of her clutch and frowns. 'These girls aren't even sending me pictures of Zara! I'm so annoyed, bhai! I want to see her now! Ayesha, Maryam and Layla keep saying that no one from the groom's side can see the bride before reaching the wedding venue. And we still have an hour or so to go!'

My heart starts to race. "Is Zara ready?" I ask, my voice quieter than I'd intended.

Hafsa nods, now smiling softly. 'She is. The girls won't let me see her yet, but they've told me that she looks like a princess. Absolutely beautiful. I have no doubt about that.'

"When are we going?" I ask, clearing my throat with a cough. I can't wait to see Zara as my wife this evening. I know that she will look absolutely perfect.

Just then, my parents enter the room. Mum has tears in her eyes, which fall freely onto her cheeks when she sees me. Dad looks emotional too, but I've never seen my parents look so happy before.

'Zaid, you look so handsome, beta,' Mum says, grinning and wiping away her tears. She hugs me next, before pressing a light kiss to my cheek. Then she quickly wipes my face, realising that there is a faint lipstick mark on my cheek.

I laugh. "Thanks, Mum. Are all the guests here?"

Dad nods, hugging me next. 'Your mother is right, Zaid. You look very handsome, son. And you're glowing with excitement and happiness,' he teases, winking at me.

I can't help but smile. "Thanks, Dad."

The guests who are on my side have arrived at our home, and are waiting in the hall. We will have a short photography session, before a few traditions. Then, we will set off for the wedding hall, in about an hour.

I can't wait to see my bride. I can't wait to see Zara.

I've missed her so much, and the wait is finally over.