First Days

Thomas' POV

One year left. One last first day. And it couldn't come soon enough.

I was done with highschool, so done. I was done with the gossip, the cliques, the boring teachers who couldn't care less about there subjects, and how god damn stupid all of these idiots are. Above all I could not wait to get away from Hamilton. My arch enemy and before you say anything it might be childish to have an arch enemy but when you have to work on student Government with a guy like Hamilton your gonna have an arch enemy.

"Excuse me Mr.Jefferson" one of the maids says with a knock on the door of my room "your friend Mr.Madison is here for you"

"I'll be there in a second" I say.

I fluff my hair in the mirror one more time  trying to make it as big and puffy as possible before pulling on my over sized jean jacket. I cross my large lavish bedroom grabbing my book bag on the way. I bounded out of the room and down the spiral staircase.

"Jemmy!" I say to my friend waiting for me in the entrance to my house. He grins when he sees me.

James and I had been best friends for as long as I could remember. He was the only person I could talk to about things, like my uber wealthy homophobic family, how worried I was about my future, and the insecurities I have. Most people assume do to my confidence that I wasn't insecure but honestly I was quite the opposite.

"Last first day" I say wrapping my arm around his shoulder in a friendly fashion.

"Last first day!" He repeats excitedly as we walk out of the grand entrance. "How ready are  you to get out of that shit hole?"

"Ohh so ready Mr.Madison, so fucking ready!" I say.

Jemmy and I carpool to school so I hop in the front seat of his Mercedes and we pull out of the drive way. I always feel a sense of relief driving away from that stupid mansion we lived in. It was too large to be a home, and too loveless. And even though the school we were driving to was a shit hole it was less of a shit hole than what we were driving from.

And the drive was always my favorite part of the day. James drove too fast. We roll the windows down. And the music was blared as loud as possible. We didn't talk but it wasn't awkward. It was the definition of perfection.

I can see people staring as we pull into the school parking lot probably annoyed at how loud our music was but I didn't give a crap.

"What do you have first period?" I ask.

"History you?" He says.

"Math" I say with a groan. "And I won't see you at lunch I have a student government meeting"

"Ah so basically you have a lunch date with Hamilton." He says

"Don't even joke about that" I say. I stop as we approach the school looking at the daunting large ugly school with the letters "Monticello Highschool" written in bold red.

"I'll see you after school" James says patting my arm and heading off towards his locker.

I head off towards mine walking with as much confidence as I could. The last night the school had emailed me with my new locker number so I pull out my phone and check. When I see my locker I put my bag down and attempt to open it. I roll my eyes as I see Hamilton laughing annoyingly loud with his gang of friends as they walk down the hall. I try not to physically gag when he stops next to me. I don't acknowledge him but keep putting my stuff into the locker.

"What are you doing?" Hamilton says.

"Finding a cure for cancer" I say monotony.

"What are you here though at this locker." He says.

"Well, I am lifting books, putting them into the locker, then I get crazy and lift more books" I say putting down my large copy of Intro to Industrial Economics.

"Well that's thrilling" he says "but this is my locker"

Hamilton opens the locker next to mine and I swear I throw up a little in my mouth. The inside of Hamilton's locker is elaborately decoratoring with a rainbow flag some drawing of turtles and pictures of the "revolution squad". I can't believe I have to stand next to Alexander all year.

"Oh by the by Washington told me to tell you that there is a party tonight to celebrate school being back for student council members." He says "and I like all the photos of your friends"

I roll my eyes and turn back to my empty locker.