Phone Backgrounds and Hugs

Thomas POV

I was determined to outlast him. I didn't give a fuck how embarrassing or awkward this would be I needed to give this speech and I definitely needed to kick Hamilton's ass. So when I walked into school and saw him standing by his locker with his friends I just went for it.

He was facing away from me so I walked up behind him and snaked my arm around his waist. He wheels around so fast and the look on his face was like he was about to punch me.

"Hey there darling" I drawl smirking at him. There is no way he is winning this. But suddenly his face softens.

"You scared me cutie" He says wrapping his arms around my neck.

"Well you better get ready for lots of this" I say having a hard time keeping the anger off my face.

"I'm so ready. Your the one who isn't ready" he spits back angrily.

"You guys are weird" Hamilton's friend John says eyeing us a little confused.

"Come on Jean what did you expect it's Alexander and Thomas. There gonna be a weird couple." Lafayette says with a laugh.

I have to say his friends are taking this better than James was. They seemed to believe us without us having to even fake it much. James was shocked and I am sure a part of him didn't believe me. I wonder if he is just a better lair than me which pisses me off.

"Hey Thomas did you accidentally take my" I see James talking as he walks over to us but stops when he sees us. I can usually read his face pretty easily but I'm struggling right now. Maybe it was disgust or confusion maybe even anger.

"What's up Jemmy?" I ask removing my hand from Alexander's waist. The second I do Alexander just takes my hand in his coiling his short fingers around my long ones. Even the logistics of me and Alexander don't work. Hands should fit together perfectly. Ours don't.

"I was just wondering if you took my phone by accident cause I have yours." He says staring at mine and Alexander's interlocked fingers.

"Oh." I say pulling a cellphone out of my pocket "I guess this is what happens when we have the exact same phone with the exact same background."

"What's your background babe?" Alexander says as I switch my phone back with James.

I turn it on to show a photo of me and James at a Childish Gambino concert. Our friend took it and it is my favorite photo ever. We were mid jump in and both clearly singing along but most importantly we both looked so happy. James and I weren't know for our smiles but in this picture they just shown. I aspire to smile like that all the time.

"You should probably make it a photo of the two of us huh babe." Alexander says, in an almost taunting manner.

I look down the hallway and see Washington and Peggy watching me. And even though it almost makes me puke I nod "we probably should."

"Are you kidding me Thomas! Your gonna change it from the concert photo. You love that photo. You have 3 framed copies in your room. You told me once you would die before you changed the background." James says clearly confused and enraged.

In all honesty it was the worse part of this whole thing. Even worse than holding hands with Hamilton was lying to James. We didn't lie to each other. We just didn't. When you friends with someone that long nothing was off limits. I told him about the time I got a boner in class. He told me about the time he puked in a potted plant at Charles Lee's house party and blamed it on Aaron Burr. Our lives were shared that was it.

But the second this was over I would explain the whole thing to him, every detail. He would get it. He knew how much I wanna to do this speech. It would be a chance to show my parents I succeed. Maybe if they saw me give this speech they would be proud of me.

"Yeah exactly I have that photo up in my room so I don't need it as a background." I say smiling at James hoping to convey that the importance of that photo is unwavering to me.

"Whatever man." James says before walking away in a huff.